• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Winter NAMM 2021 Canceled :(

I’m sure it’s fun to walk around, but to me all these “trade shows” are dinosaurs from the world before online collaboration, marketing and rapid delivery systems. I say that of my industry as well. Deals used to be made at shows like this, or so I’m told, but they are mostly glorified business trips. How much can a small business benefit from the expense of participating in such a thing?
I don't think my business would exist without NAMM. It's a huge cost for me to fly to America but the return on investment has been worth. Being from Australia it's really handy to be able to meet with dealers and watch a huge range of different people try things I've made. Being able to watch someone try a prototype and then have 100 more people that day press the same button that didn't do what they expected it to saves a lot of trouble later. It's also well run compared to shows I've done in other countries.

Quad4

Hopefully there will be some sort of virtual " new gear" conference and/or concentrated PR blitzes/announcements, and "coverage' via the press.

Jimbo99

It was the Stairway to Heaven plays that killed the trade show. I think COVID-19 has ushered in the on-line era and beat down brick & mortar. Prices went up and it would be interesting to see how on-line sales compare to walk-in sales. Cost are driven down with fewer showrooms. I think local bike shops and the trend for dealerships is now being managed. Back in 2015, worked for Tracfone, they were rightsizing their distribution channels too.

I am so glad I did not book my trip to the winter show for next year. I had a hunch that there was no way that the show could go on. I have been going to the Namm Shows both the summer and winter shows for over 20 years, I sure do enjoy seeing everyone and checking out all the cool gear. The swag is the best part for me. I love getting free stuff. I hope the summer show in 2021 will be on. This virus sucks big time.:barf

arthur rotfeld

Silver Supporting Member
Sorry to hear, but no big surprise.

It's a legendary germ-fest: crowds, handshakes, lots of tight socialization all day and night, and then add in air travel and sleep deprivation. The minute Covid became a thing this past winter, I knew I wouldn't be going in '21.

surfsup1955

It’s a shame a bunch of intelligent, responsible, adults can’t figure out how to have events like this at some productive level in a safe manner. Are we just simpletons without hope!?

arthur rotfeld

Silver Supporting Member
It’s a shame a bunch of intelligent, responsible, adults can’t figure out how to have events like this at some productive level in a safe manner. Are we just simpletons without hope!?
Pretty much. We have half-assed our collective handling of this crisis... and this is the responsible result. We can't have nice things.

MaskingApathy

The main thing (for me) at NAMM has been networking with other artists/musicians, brands, artist reps, etc. Seeing old friends again and making new ones. That's the main thing I'll be missing but otherwise the musical instruments industry will be fine. Also maybe I'll actually be able to (virtually) attend all of the sessions that I want to this time.

Wound_Up

Like what? Hyperbole much? NAMM is fairly useless for the big manufacturers. The ROI is terrible. And without the anchor brands there really is no NAMM. My guess is there are not too many brands bummed out about this. Money better spent elsewhere.
How do you know what other companies ROI is? Unless you've worked for them and dealt with that exclusively, you don't have a clue what kind if return they get.

drbob1

Gold Supporting Member
I love NAMM. I haven't met all my heroes there but the number I HAVE met has been really fun. @Tom Von Kramm, my first NAMM you spent, what, an HOUR talking with a nobody from TGP. Probably didn't do much for DOD/Digitech, but you made a customer and friend for life! I spent a lot of time with the Fryette crew arguing about the GP/DI during the year they were incommunicado. I'd call Steve and some of the other guys friends, even if I only see them every few years (sadly, last year the Fryette "booth" was a closet they met to make deals in, no amps). Heck, last year I met Gary Hurst, and he's a lovely guy with some cool stories and great plans!

As to ROI, I guess it varies. Dave Rogers gets most of his networking done by invitation to the factory of the big 5 (Fender, Gibson, PRS, Martin, Taylor) and relies on the younger guys to sort out pedals and amps, so he doesn't go. The guys from CME have a much wider scope of brands and send a big delegation to sort stuff out with the smaller manufacturers. Smaller companies like Baranick, who built my favorite acoustic of the show, get some publicity they otherwise wouldn't. and at his prices the ROI may be worth it. I dunno, @Husky, what do you think about it?

It's the serendipity, the chance meeting that becomes a friendship and opens eyes to a whole new approach that I appreciate. You can't really get that with online contacts. TED tried to replicate it with a "speed dating" thing this year where you'd get matched for 5 minutes with someone random, but I just can't see that replacing having your eye caught by something new and stopping to discuss with and encourage the innovator!

BraveHeart

It's going to be interesting with manufactures and how they do product announcements. I'm sure we will all miss the hype and fun of NAMM. I've been going in person the last few years and will miss it.
There will be a virtual NAMM SHOW ...I'm sure

journo

Bummer! I’ve gone 6 times, and enjoyed it.
IIRC I've attended 20 Winter NAMM shows (and 30 Frankfurt Messe) and I didn't know if I could afford it in 2021 but now it seems that now is a non-issue.

In case you want a bit of nostalgia, here's a video I did with Craig Anderton for Harmony Central back in 2017.

Cheers,

Mats N

Superstick

Silver Supporting Member
How do you know what other companies ROI is? Unless you've worked for them and dealt with that exclusively, you don't have a clue what kind if return they get.
Yeah I actually know. I have a clue. You just want to argue.

blackbird

IIRC I've attended 20 Winter NAMM shows (and 30 Frankfurt Messe) and I didn't know if I could afford it in 2021 but now it seems that now is a non-issue.

In case you want a bit of nostalgia, here's a video I did with Craig Anderton for Harmony Central back in 2017.

Cheers,

Mats N
That was fun to watch !

TapeEchoes

Whatever I’m just really hoping for a new RE-20 from BOSS. They should really surprise us and make a Uni-Vibe!

Trending Topics