• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Winter Neck Shrinkage?

jrh_67

hello All,

I've got an EVH Wolfgang special that I've had for a couple of years now and haven't had any problems with the neck at all until recently right after I moved. I moved to a new house the first week of Jan. and I'm not sure if the humidity or something is different in there but I've noticed that my fret ends are sticking out and getting quite sharp all the sudden. It's hard to explain but it almost seems like the neck has "shrank" just enough for the fret ends to stick out some and it definitely wasn't that way before. I'm guessing that the humidity or something is different there? I keep my strat and ibanez in the same room and they have no problems.

Anyhow what i was wondering is if anyone might have some experience with this and could tell me if maybe a "case" humidifier or something might help get it back to normal? Maybe when it warms up it will correct itself or should I just take it in and have someone file them down and polish them.

Thanks in advance for any info...

73Fender

A humidifier won't hurt. Poor man's solution: Put a damp sponge in a baggie with some holes in it and keep it in the case. Had a few luthiers give me this tip. Unless you want to get a room / house humidifier which would be ideal.

Good time to file the fret ends maybe.

dougk

Gold Supporting Member
Take it to a luither, have them knock the ends down then use a humidifier. This is totally normal and the nice thing is, this will be as much as it'll ever shrink.

jrh_67

Take it to a luither, have them knock the ends down then use a humidifier. This is totally normal and the nice thing is, this will be as much as it'll ever shrink.
So this is normal for an "unfinished" type neck like this one? I was just asking because I've never owned another guitar that had a neck like this and I was considering purchasing another one...

rongtr1

I had just had my maple neck strat refretted a couple of months ago when this happened. I have a planet waves case humidifier used in violin cases, and I've had no trouble since.

jrh_67

I had just had my maple neck strat refretted a couple of months ago when this happened. I have a planet waves case humidifier used in violin cases, and I've had no trouble since.

Sorry if I misunderstand but are you saying that you started using a case humidifier before or after the fret work?

Trending Topics

Top Bottom