WinXP firewall and the DAW ... advise needed.

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by straticus, Feb 16, 2006.

1. straticus

straticus Member

I only have one lonely computer and it serves double duty as my DAW and web surfer. I won't go on the net without virus protection and a firewall. I use McAfee for virus protection and Zone Labs as a Firewall. The problem is that Zone Labs' firewall is a pain in the a$$! I get lots of "this page cannot be displayed" errors and it makes web surfing very slow. I enabled the standard WinXP firewall in my wife's computer and she has none of these problems and it's much much faster.

So here's my question. Is anyone here using the WinXP fire wall in their DAW? Does it cause any problems while tracking or mixing? The one drawback I see with the WinXP firewall is that there doesn't seem to be an easy and quick way to enable or disable it when it's "DAW time". If there is please tell me how.

Thanks!!

peace ........... BC

2. Jon C

Jon C Silver Supporting Member

Odd, I have no issues like that at all with Zone Alarm Pro. But I'm also not using it as a DAW.

good luck,
    Jon

3. straticus

straticus Member

I'm using Zone Alarm Pro too. I went to Zone Alarms support page and they say you need to add the problem pages to a list of "allowed" sites in zone alarm. It's just too much of a pain. It's weird, some days I'll get the error messages and some days I won't. I sometimes get them when I go to TGP and I go here more than any other site.

4. flatfinger

flatfinger Member

Maybee your DAW is trying to " phone home" a little to often! See if those obnoxious programmers created a way to turn off the auto up-date feature or just disable your network connection before a DAW session!:rolleyes:

5. Doodad

Doodad Member

Two things you can do. Add exemptions to the zone alarm lists or turn on the query function in zone alarm so that as a new site pops in, you tell it to always allow. That should be the default functioning. I have used ZA since it came out and after the first week, it quiets down and you don't even notice it is there.

6. MK50H

MK50H Member

I have dual booted my DAW, when it is booted as a DAW the firewall is off, and the network interface is disabled.

I feel this is a good solution, as I have also optimised the DAW install just for this purpose.

Of course it is quite a bit of work, but I feel it is worth it.

7. straticus

straticus Member

Hmmmm ..... this is an interesting idea. Do I need any special software to do a dual boot set up?

8. MK50H

MK50H Member

No special software is needed, but you would really want to install the 2nd system to a separate disk or partition.

If you don't have a free disk, or spare partition you'd need to create a new partition on one of your disks. You can do this non-destructively using Partition Magic.

Basically all you need to do is a fresh install of XP, but ensure that you select the new disk/partition

Here is a bit of info. from MS http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/setup/learnmore/multiboot.mspx

A bit more info here:
    http://www.bootstrike.com/WinXP/dualboot.html

9. straticus

straticus Member

Thanks MK, I'll definitely look into that. Sounds like the way to go if someone is using one PC as a DAW and everything else. BTW, I've played an MK50h .......... nice amps! That's a Cornford right? I sure would like to check out the Hurricane.

10. MK50H

MK50H Member

Feel free to get in touch if you need any help with the dual booting, also when you get around to it you will want to "optimise" the DAW build there is lots of opinion about what to do, I just picked out the major bits from the Tascam guide, these seem to have some useful tips too, although I haven't tried them all yet.

http://www.soniccontrol.com/features/article.php?ID=33
    http://www.51bpm.com/docs/xpforaudio.htm

As for the amps, sure it's a Cornford. I have a Hurricane too, it's pretty good for a smaller amp, but to my ears the MK50H is the best amp I ever heard. Over the years I have tried lots of gear, and the MK50H (and also the Cornford Harlequin) was the only amp that made me sound like I wanted to. Great gear, but sadly very expensive!