Wireless Frequencies in 2009?

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by nemp, Aug 5, 2008.

1. nemp

nemp Member

Wireless Frequencies in 2009?
    I've heard that the anaolog frequencies that the broadcasters are using will be sold to cell phone companies in Feb. '09 and that the frequencies now used by many wireless mics will become useless because of this. Anyone know more about this? I'm planning on buying a couple wireless mics and don't want to get something that will be useless in six months.

2. Dave Klausner

Dave Klausner Member

The situation is not as dire as some would lead you to believe. First of all, it's contingent on the FCC actually flipping the DTV switch in 02/09, and that date has been pushed back quite a few times already (and there are still issues they need to work out).

If you don't already have the wireless system(s), do look for them in bands where there will be less activity, so for example, with Sennheiser, use the "A" and "B" bands, but stay away from the "C" band (740-776 MHz). If you have existing wireless, don't panic. Most of the systems these days are frequency agile, which means that there are a lot of different frequencies you can tune each transmitter and receiver to, so even if someone in your area is broadcasting in that band, you may well be able to find a clear frequency.

If there are no clear frequencies, understand that you've got a very short range transmitter, but that transmitter is quite powerful over that short range, and since the receiver will preferentially follow the strongest signal (do look for a true diversity receiver), you may be able to transmit over that frequency in the distance you require. Legally speaking, the owner of a frequency can ask you to stop broadcasting on it, but in practice, your short range signal shouldn't attract much attention.

3. moody07747

moody07747 Member

I already have enough trouble keeping my cell phone from causing beeps and such in my audio gear........

I dont think there will be any problem TBH