Wireless headphones?

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by bluesdoc, Mar 21, 2015.

1. bluesdoc

bluesdoc Gold Supporting Member Gold Supporting Member

I need to silence my modeling rig for night playing. I have 2 headphone sets. One is a Sony MDR 7506. It sounds a lot like my live tones (through FBT powered mons) but not being an ear surround design, it hurts my ear auricle after 10+ minutes. I also have an AKG K240, which is incredibly comfortable, but sounds nothing like my live rig. It's missing a lot of the high end I hear live and through the Sony. Additionally, the wire is a drag. So, what I'd like is the tone of my Sony, or better :huh, with an ear surround design, and wireless. I know that Bluetooth has an obligatory delay, which would be a deal breaker. Plus, I'd have to get some sort of Bt transmitter. But, can digital RF work without a significant delay? I was looking (online) at the Senn RS 170 and one reviewer mentioned a slight delay, but none of the reviews were by guys like us - guitar players. Can anyone shed some light on this for me? Thanks.

jon

2. Edwood

Edwood Member

I bought a good set of Acoustic Research wireless phones for recording and found out they were useless because of the latency.Oh well!!

3. georgestrings

georgestrings Senior Member

Can't help you with the wireless headphone thing, but will recommend Grado headphones for practice - I use mine with a Korg Pandora, and they sound phenominal... Mine are the SR60s - which are open back - and although the do let a little sound both in and out, I actually prefer that because it makes things easier to practice playing and singing...

- georgestrings

4. rocketboss

rocketboss Supporting Member

I have a bunch of pairs of cans including the Sonys you mention. My two favorites are the Ultrasone HFI 700's and Beyerdymanic DT770's. Both very comfortable and they translate better than any others I've owned or used.

The Ultrasones are my favorite for mixing and low level listening/jamming! Very low fatigue! They have a technology that's all about low fatigue and I can tell you it really works. These will keep you listening volume level set. The issue most associated with ear fatigue is, as the ear gets tired you turn it up. Totally love these cans! You can read up on the build technology here.

https://www.trewaudio.com/PDF/ultrasone_details_page.pdf

The Beyers are a great second reference for the Ultrasones and they are extremely detailed. I specifically use them for tweaking verbs and delays.

Swapping out from either of these to the Sonys is a pretty drastic change in warmth, space and detail.

Hope this helps!

5. bluesdoc

bluesdoc Gold Supporting Member Gold Supporting Member

Hey Nick, thanks so much for that info. Do your Ultrasones surround the auricle, putting no pressure on the ear structure itself?

jon