Wireless mics and battery life: your experiences

RockStarNick

Gold Supporting Member
Question for you pro audio guys:

What kind of wireless mics are you using, and how many hours do you get out of the standard two AAs.

Also: are digital wireless mics known to eat more batteries than analog systems?

Last edited:

RockStarNick

Gold Supporting Member
Every night you will change batteries. And no, you can't use rechargeables.
So that's just kind of a "is what it is, get over it" thing with wireless mics?

I have another tech Q:

My Wireless IEM bodypack unit absolutely SIPS battery juice - seems to last forever. Is this because it's a receiver, and not a transmitter?

buddaman71

Student of Life
Gold Supporting Member
I actually started buying the lower cost RayOVac batteries from Lowe's in my wireless gear and have found zero difference in performance or battery life. Much less cost than name brand. I've actually seen some myth busters type comparisons that show most lower cost batteries perform just as well. Companies that don't domed millions in advertising don't have to charge as much for their products.

Just my experience

jimshine

We have Sure SM58's at work. We use rechargeables as they are used every night. A full charge gets about 3 hours of use.

Gargloic

The wife uses a Audio-Technica ATW-3171AD since around 7 years.

She changes batteries every gig (except when she plays in really ****** bars when she'll grab back vocal mic if hers dies, then she'll use the same batteries two nights in a row)

We buy those Costco branded Kirkland Signature batteries and get them for if I remember 48 for 20$. That works perfectly good.

So roughly a little under 1$ a gig

Ain't got a clue about the difference between analog and digital as of consumption though.

Gargloic

Flogger59

So that's just kind of a "is what it is, get over it" thing with wireless mics?

I have another tech Q:

My Wireless IEM bodypack unit absolutely SIPS battery juice - seems to last forever. Is this because it's a receiver, and not a transmitter?
Listening uses less power than speaking, but you are also powering an amp with your IEM pack, so I dunno.

Somniferous

Typically use the shure UR4 systems and can get 6-8 hours using Powerex rechargeables. I always use a freshly charged set of batteries for each show. As long as you take care of the batteries they can last for a long time.

Rex Anderson

A good reliable battery tester is a good investment. Even new batteries may not be reliable. I will sound check with a set of batteries and put in new tested batteries just before hitting stage for performance. Who wants problems like a mic going dead?

I got reamed by a director once because a wireless mic failed during performance-the guy had a short bit so there was no hope for recovery (he didn't get a second chance and no stage guy could get him a new mic in time.

Turns out he had hit standby on his belt pack transmitter. I had to deal with a lot of grief for a kid (student) who screwed up.