Wireless Recommendations for the Weekend Warrior

JoeInOttawa

All,

I have been using the Line 6 G30/35 for over ten years without too many complaints, but, as I more and more wireless to the live rig, I'm starting to find the range of the wireless system starting to wane. I suspect the 2.4Ghz band is simply getting a bit too crowded, but I'm no longer getting anything close to 100ft line-of-sight -- and I used to get more than that.

So I'm looking for the next wireless system, and I have a few requirements:
  • A legitimate 40-foot range under even challenging conditions
  • A receiver that I can mount on my pedalboard
  • A transmitter that uses AA batteries and is good with rechargeables
  • Reasonably budget-friendly for a weekend warrior
So? Whaddya suggest?

Maybe @Digital Igloo or @Frank Ritchotte want to chime in to suggest I might want to wait -- or not? I've been pretty happy with my Line 6 gear, and if there's something coming from them that I should consider, I can wait. I'm not desperate -- yet.

Thanks!

Joe

Reactions: C-4

petty1818

Only thing missing is the AA battery option but the new Line 6 G10S would be my first choice. I have the original and love it live.

-Hawk-

Silver Supporting Member
I can't tell you the technical specs, but I switched from the G30 to the G10s (when I was still using wireless). It's such a better experience imo.

JoeInOttawa

I appreciate the G10 suggestion, but, sadly, that won't work for me, because I'd have to own two to always have a backup battery. It also operates in the same 2.4Ghz range as the 30 I have now, so I'm not sure it'd be an upgrade, ultimately.

JoeInOttawa

Looks like the Shure is also a 2.4Ghz device. Maybe the smart-frequency-hopping negates the problems I'm seeing, though. But I wish it took AAs...

kdm1218

Silver Supporting Member
Does the receiver use a standard power supply? Not much good on my pedalboard if I can't use my TrueTone 1Spot...
Happy Shure user here. It will take a 9v tap but no idea how it would tolerate daisy chaining for any noise issues. It will also cover the 40’ no problem.

musicman1

Most systems do operate in the 2.4 ghz range. Ive been using a boss wl20 low impedance version for active electronics and its good. Its probably better than most other dongle style wirelesses but not as good as the shure systems. For me its simple, reasonably priced and works well. Transmitter and receiver get around 12 hours on a charge and ive gotten 50 feet easily wo any drop outs or latency. Boss also has the wl50 and 60 models for pedal boards.

Antmax

Shame about the G10. I love mine. You can power the new ones transmitter from your pedalboard power supply. You can do the same with the old one too. The old one is Micro USB powered but you can get a step down transformer on amazon for $10 that will convert something like 6 - 32v down to 5v USB. Or just use a powerbank. For a while my whole pedalboard including the G10 was powered by a 10000mah powebank.

The G10 really does last about 8 hours for the first year. I've had mine since it launched in 2016 and used it about 5 days a week for 1 or 2 hours. It's now reduced to about 2 hours but otherwise works flawlessly. I really like the simultaneous XLR out on the receiver too.

Shure GLX-D is about the best unit in the biz in the 2.4Ghz range. You'd get much better performance from an analog transmission system in the legal range (600Mhz here in NZ), but they are usually a half rack unit and therefore are not as pedalboard friendly

kdm1218

Silver Supporting Member
No daisy chaining, it'll have its own tap.
a 1 spot is a daisy chain?? Unless I’m just misunderstanding what you own, it’s a branded adapter with a daisy chain connector to go to pedals. Better than most international junk you buy on Amazon, yes, but if that’s what you have then having its own tap doesn’t make a bit of difference.

aisling

Silver Supporting Member
Love my G10s, though the first one I had was faulty and failed after a few months, but quickly replaced under warranty. Bummer won't work for your needs.

I've been using Sony's guitar wireless for a few years now. No issues, can run off a 9V or power supply, metal transmitter that uses AA, still 2.4 GHz but digital signal transmission. I think they are discontinued though. Looks like the new ones have some price gouging but might find a used one for cheap. I purchased mine new from guitar center for $150.

https://pro.sony/en_CR/products/dwz-series-wireless-packages/dwz-b30gb

JoeInOttawa

a 1 spot is a daisy chain?? Unless I’m just misunderstanding what you own, it’s a branded adapter with a daisy chain connector to go to pedals. Better than most international junk you buy on Amazon, yes, but if that’s what you have then having its own tap doesn’t make a bit of difference.
An understandable mistake. I have one of these:

Last edited:

petty1818

Another option is the Carvin WG5 but you can get the WG5 from different companies. I believe they are manufactured by a company and then brands just pay to put their name on it. I have one and really like it. It’s also 5.8ghz.

caledoneus

Line 6 G30 would be perfect for you I think. Been using one for years. If funds allow, you could go for the G50. It isn't too much more, and has a sturdier case for the transmitter and all.

Trending Topics