• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Wireless system with a pedalboard

sliberty

I bought a modestly priced ($150) wireless system called the XVIVE U2. I selected it because (1) it wasn't too expensive, (2) it had very good reviews, and (3) both ends are rechargeable dongles with a claimed 5 hour battery life. So far, I am happy using it from guitar to pedalboard, which is how I planned to use it. I've only tried it at home, but tomorrow night, I'll get a chance to try it at the weekly jam.

Today, just for fun, I tried it from the pedalboard to the amp. While it passed signal (of course), there was a fairly loud whining sound in the background at all times. I tried all 4 available channels with no difference.

Note, my pedalboard uses a small isolated power supply for all pedals.

Is this typical? Are these wireless devices not capable of handling the output of a pedalboard for some reason? Could it be related to one of my pedals (even though there is no noticeable noise with a cable to the amp)?

sonichronic

Silver Supporting Member
im not sure but i bet it has something to do with output impedance and buffered pedals.

i don't know why because i don't know your rig but should be easy to figure out.

68Injunhed

Wireless is typically used to replace the connection from your guitar to your board, that's probably your problem.

sliberty

Wireless is typically used to replace the connection from your guitar to your board, that's probably your problem.
Yea, I get that, and it is my intention as well. But I do wonder why it doesn't work on the other side.

pipedwho

The problem is that if you're using isolated supplies for all your pedals and not plugging into your amp, then the pedal board chain is no longer grounded anywhere. When that happens, all the noise from the switching power supplies will be picked up in the signal chain. To fix this, you need to make sure there is a ground connection somewhere on your pedal board. The problem will go away if you power the pedal board from batteries or use a properly earthed non-isolated supply on at least one of the pedals in the chain.

sliberty

Ah, that helps a lot. Would powering one pedal by battery accomplish the same thing? Maybe the last pedal for example?

DoomCue

I'm using a Helix with 4CM. I hadn't thought about using the XVive from Helix to amp input, I'll give that a shot tomorrow night and let you know how it goes.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom