Wireless systems

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Imiss85, Mar 30, 2015.

1. Imiss85

Imiss85 Member

My band is ready to start gigging, most of our gigs will be at my singers restraunts after hours, which means we have a lot of room to roam. I'd like to get a wireless system that won't break the bank. Any recommendations on a quaility low cost wireless setup?

2. gigs

gigs Member

Pick either quality or low cost... or provide a better characterization of each.

3. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

Assuming you're asking about guitar and not vocal...

I'm sure you'll get a lot of Line 6 recommendations, but I tried three of them and they all dropped out way too frequently to use them live. I've found Shure much more reliable.

I used Samson Airline too which worked very well. You could probably pick them up cheaply.

4. jo2012

jo2012 Member

I use AKG systems. I have a Mini and one of the standard ones and both are great

5. jonnytexas

jonnytexas Supporting Member

Used will be best bang for buck. I have had good luck with my Shure digital.

6. ZeyerGTR

ZeyerGTR Supporting Member

I got a brand new, sealed Sony dwz-b30gb for $200 on ebay (about half of retail) a few months ago. It's my first wireless so I can't really compare but I've been happy with it. The receiver takes the 9v from my pedal power, it has a tuner output, the transmitter is metal and seems fairly sturdy, and the signal is pretty good - tone difference is minimal (it has a dial to emulate cable length, but to my ears it's best turned off because it loses just a little touch of high end anyways). I haven't done exhaustive A/B testing.

7. RockDC

RockDC Member

I have 3 Line 6 G50's and 2 of the new Shure GLX-D's. Never an issue with either. I fly to places and play. I have not toured with the Shure much more than locally but I've used the Line 6 in 20 different states and never had an issue. Those are both digital.

I have also toured with the Samson Airline and the Sennheiser G3 series. Lots of issues here. Not drops, but RF issues occurred frequently. Never had that problem digitally and won't. But the Sennheiser G2 I never had an issue and never had RF problems on or off.

Rango likes this.
  8. doublescale1

doublescale1 FSR Tele Silver Supporting Member

I live on the east side of metropolitan Detroit
    I've had the Line6 G50 for a couple of years now - before that I had the X2 digital wireless, the first digital wireless that Line6 eventually bought. I've never had any drop-out issues with the Line6 - in fact I just gigged it in Cobo Center, a big convention/exhibit hall in Detroit, at this years Autorama Hot Rod show - the FOH mixer warned me to be on the lookout for issues in that place with all the other heavy walk-talki traffic, but I never had any issues at all there either. The Shure GLX-D system is new, and finally looks to be a good rival for the Line6 - Shure has a long history with the analog wireless stuff, I'm suspect that since they took so long to jump into digital, they did their homework. I'm sure others with experience with more systems will chime in, I only can tell you about the Line6 G50 that I have had no problems with from big, RF busy halls to bars & clubs.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2015
  9. Gasp100

Gasp100 Silver Supporting Member

I had a G50 and never had issues, very pro quality product in my opinion (sturdy, good functionality that made sense, easy to turn on, change settings, MUTE if changing guitars).

10. Irreverent

Irreverent Silver Supporting Member

Perhaps, as predicted above, the reason you will get a lot of recommendations for the Line 6 equipment is because it works great! I have a G50, and I have never had a single issue with it, playing indoor and outdoor venues, festivals, etc. Great value!

Peace.

11. oneshowmaster

oneshowmaster Supporting Member

I used a L6 G50 for years and it was 100% solid. Transitioned to a shure GLXD16 because the battery tech drew me to it, but ran into some issues - it did not play nice with the other digital wireless gear on stage (Wireless IEM Router/ Mixer in 5Ghz and 5 other L6 Units). When I go back to wireless I will be sticking with the L6.

12. AdmiralB

AdmiralB Silver Supporting Member

The Relay is the most-mature digital system. I had an original X2 circa '98 or '99; Sennheiser bought them out but dumbed down the specs in order to miniaturize, then shelved it...and finally Line 6 bought it. It just works.

I wouldn't be surprised to see the Relay blown out shortly, in favor of the new XD; right now it's vocals only but I bet they replace the G-series instrument stuff with it.

13. RG955TT

RG955TT Member

I have a Line 6 G90 rack mount I have used for last couple of years. The thing works flawlessly in general but to me there is a difference between it and a cable for certain. I play Suhr guitars and a Bogner XTC 20th and there is clearly a slight latency and a thinning of the tone. I recently went back to a cable and the difference is pretty clear. No matter how I adjusted the cable simulator I could not duplicate the tone or fatness of a 15 foot cable.

Your experience may vary but I know what I hear and its very clear to me not to mention the feel is a bit different (not as good) which I attribute to the latency caused by the A to D and D to A conversion. I could deal with the feel if I have to but the thinner tone can not be adjusted for at the amp, its just losing something. I know people will swear they hear zero difference. OK then....

14. derekd

derekd Supporting Member

I always used Shure with good luck.

15. sdevino

sdevino Member

The new Relay G70's landed in the United States today. They should be in stores very soon.

16. pale fire

pale fire Supporting Member

S - do you have the dimensions on the G75?...I currently use a G90 in a rack setup (also have a G50 on a pedal board) so I am pretty familiar with your stuff....interested in putting the G75 on top of my amp as a combination wireless / tuner and doing away with anything else in the signal chain....but want to make sure the 75 can sit on top of my amps (without being partially on the handle and not stable). I found one set of dimensions in cm on Amazon and pretty sure they aren't accurate based on the shape of the unit.

17. sonoragazzo

sonoragazzo Member

What ever you decide to pick, just do not buy line6 systems, they will not endure.
    I have the relay G30 from line6 and its a crap.

18. Dale

Dale Member

L6 G50 here. I am happy with it.

19. AdmiralB

AdmiralB Silver Supporting Member

Do you (can you comment, I guess I should ask) expect a G90 replacement based upon G7x tech?

20. Imiss85

Imiss85 Member

Anyone use the G30? I don't need bells and whistles, just a good sounding wireless. $130-$150 is a fantastic price range if it works as well as the others.