Wireless vs Wired Solder Pens

adam_l

I'm looking to upgrade my cheapo Radio Shack Solder Pen, and was thinking how great it would be to never get the power chord caught on something, or just plain tangled up.

Anyone currently using a wireless Pen that they like enough to recommend?

I'm not looking for anything too fancy...if I could find a quality pen for, say, no more than $50, I'd be happy.

I just use it for the occasional pickup swap, and the inevitable magnet try outs that follow, until I find a pleasant sounding match.

Along with the usual Guitar stuff... replacing/upgrading pots, caps, etc.

Thanks.

ddog

Gold Supporting Member

wox

Silver Supporting Member
Why bother with cordless if you don't need it? The cordless units are meant for areas where you can't plug in, and 600F will be a bit tough for grounding to pots or trem claw.

Khromo

Silver Supporting Member

If you are not going to run it for extended periods, these units will do a good job. I've got one a few models up that has lasted for years, doing quick in'n'outs like speaker or pickup swaps or wiring up a guitar.

I don't like cheap tools but this unit will work better than a similarly cheap wireless. Buy some spare tips as they are different sizes.

adam_l

Why bother with cordless if you don't need it? The cordless units are meant for areas where you can't plug in, and 600F will be a bit tough for grounding to pots or trem claw.

Ya, what is up with that "constant 600F" temp? It seems like a lot of the cordless pens have no temp control...just one consistent value.

Looks like I can get a much better wired pen, along with a decent little station, for a similar price.

There's a Hakko I was checking out a while back that came with everything I just mentioned for just under $50 (unless it was on sale; I hope not!). It got great reviews too; I wish I could remember the model.

VaughnC

Silver Supporting Member
I wouldn't mess with cordless soldering for guitar work. You need to heat pot shell grounds quickly at around 700F so you don't damage the pot. An adjustable heat soldering station is the way to go with guitar work. You could get by with less if you were only doing something like small PCB connections but guitars are different.

Last edited:

Silent Sound

Your best option for a cordless soldering iron is something like a Weller PSI100K. At least that has a usable heat output. Though, if you think messing with a cord is too much of a hassle, you're not going to like using a butane soldering iron.

Really, soldering irons aren't one of those things that need a cord to work well. They pull too much electricity, and the only reason why cordless ones exist is because there are times when you need to solder and there's no power nearby. No one, who knows what they're doing, would choose a cordless soldering iron if a good corded one was an option.

andare

If you must have a tiny soldering iron go for the TS100 or TS80 or a Pinecil. They're still corded but portable.

Otherwise I recommend a T12 unit. Get a Queeco/Quicko 956/958 from AliExpress.

They have insanely fast heating up and recovery, a detachable cord made of silicone that is very flexible and useful features like auto sleep and auto shutdown. Many tips available for cheap.

If you spend money spend it on new technology, not the old ceramic heater type, though those will work too.

Top Bottom