• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Wireless - walking into the crowd

Saw a local band recently. The guitarist made a habit of walking out into the crowd while playing via his wireless connection. It seemed kind of cheesy at the time. This was a small bar situation, cover band (the same type of venue I usually play...in other words, not "big time" in any way). I know it's all in fun and people can do what they want, but what do you think about the "walking out into the crowd and playing" thing?

YoungMansBlues

I've went home with two girls on two separate occasions by doing this, among other more show-boaty things, so I'm not complaining ;) That stuff may seem cheesy, but I would much rather watch a decent band that is interacting and playing around with the crowd than one that just admires their pedals all night long. Just gotta do it with confidence! :banana

Flyin' Brian

Silver Supporting Member
Why not? If it helps bring the crowd into the experience, it's good. If it's done with a "Hey look at me I'm cool" attitude, it's not so good.

ThugLife

to a musician, this is usually lame. but for someone who isn't a musician, it's probably pretty cool. hard to tell

SBRocket

Platinum Supporting Member
I think it's awesome. I think people love to be a part of the show. Small clubs are no exception.

I do it at every show, for me it allows an extra measure of connection with the crowd. You do have to be careful not to lose focus on your playing, but in my case it really works.

Steve

Mattbedrock

Gold Supporting Member
I do it as well but my excuse is that I'm running sound from stage and like to go out front to hear the mix to tweak it here and there. If the crowd likes it as well, so much the better.

to a musician, this is usually lame. but for someone who isn't a musician, it's probably pretty cool. hard to tell
Maybe this is it, although the regular peeps didn't seem to get into it much at all. Perhaps it's all in the timing, and how good the band is, and the vibe of the particular show in general.

I agree with the "doing it with confidence" part. I saw Lucky Peterson do this at Buddy Guy's bar in Chicago and it was cool, but he only did it once late into the set, and by then, he was killing and the crowd was into it.

PanicProne

It depends on how you do it. I got my wireless just a month ago and did a show with my hardcore band last week. I don't know about "wakling into the crowd" but I ran around all over the place and people seemed to enjoy it.. But then again, stage dives and such has always been a pig part of the scene..

stratovarius

Silver Supporting Member
I saw Randy Hansen doing this many years ago, though he didn't have a wireless - just two guys managing his hundred foot cable. There wasn't anyone sitting in the two seats in front of us, so he jumped up on the arms of the chairs and proceeded to blaze away while towering over us. We got drenched in his sweat, but we didn't mind!

lcjc800

whatever works, I witnessed a wireless bass player walk outside a small club one night, step onto a bus (thinking he would walk the aisle and exit the rear door), only to have the driver shut the door and pull out.
....unschedualed break.......
Another local favorite did this at an outdoor venue, only to get far enough to cause a lag and get behind himself in the solo, ended up sounding "unusual"....

kurtsstuff

Depends on the crowd, Level of intoxication of the crowd, it's all in the timing...Time it wrong and your a dork....time it right and your a god!!!

YoungMansBlues

I agree with the "doing it with confidence" part. I saw Lucky Peterson do this at Buddy Guy's bar in Chicago and it was cool, but he only did it once late into the set, and by then, he was killing and the crowd was into it.
You're definitely right, the player has to be on, the music has to be on, and crowd has to already be digging what's going on. I think only doing it once is a big part of it coming across as not being faked too. Same thing goes with guitar flips, stage dives, etc... (I don't do the last two, but they run in the same category so I figured they merrited including)

tim boehlert

That's why it's called 'entertainment'! Saw Hiram Bullock do it at Saratoga years ago with David Sanborn - they both came all the way out to the lawn seats while playing - the crowd loved it! Face it, most people in most every crowd are there to be entertained - they don't know anything about your gear, or your chops - as long as they can sing along to it or dance, they're entertained... It does feel lame if you take yourself as a serious musician and see someone else do it, or even do it yourself, but you are there to entertain them - do what you can to make it interesting and/or memorable - it obviously made it memorable and something we're all talking about, right? How do you feel about makeup or overly large rigs in a small room - same thing - just eye candy to impress and make it interesting, nothing wrong about it. What about the guy that changes guitars every song - I can think of at least one guy that did that for years - the crowd loved it!

Keith Urban does it all the time haha.

There's a youtube video of him walking out and giving a girl a guitar, don't have time to find it now but yea kinda cool

boog204

Silver Supporting Member
not a fan of it, although i have done it. i once saw a bass player go outside and smoke a cigarette via his wireless. suffice to say, that band ended their show early and were never heard from again.

Shiny McShine

not a fan of it, although i have done it. i once saw a bass player go outside and smoke a cigarette via his wireless. suffice to say, that band ended their show early and were never heard from again.
OK, this needs to be developed. Everyone should start jumping around and running everywhere and then pretty much all at the same time, just step out of the room. In about 20 seconds, I'd be getting an uncomfortable feeling in my stomach and then start laughing hysterically.

Trending Topics