Wiring 1/4" right-angle phono plug

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by shooto, Aug 25, 2006.

1. shooto

shooto Supporting Member

I'm making some patch cables and I got theseright-angle mono plugs and Ican't figure out how/where to connect the shield wire...anyone know with these?

pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. deeval

deeval Supporting Member

Shield wire to center and outer cable wire solder to the metal plug.

3. shooto

shooto Supporting Member

oh, so you CAN just solder the outer wire to the casing...I thought so but wasn't sure...as you can see, it's not laid out like a regular 1/4" plug-

4. SarasotaSlim

SarasotaSlim Member

Take the point of your pocket knife and scratch the area of the outer part that you will solder to - then heat with solder iron - apply some solder - leave that for a moment and twist the braided shield wire together - heat it with the solder iron - now apply some solder to the shield - do the same to the inner core wire - it's called 'tinning" and then you can reheat the glob you left on the outer spot and touch the wire to it a it will stick much easier than if you had not pre-tinned the 2 surfaces.

Now - please tell me where you found those old style right angle plugs - I can't seem to find any and would really like to buy some.

5. SarasotaSlim

SarasotaSlim Member

OOPs - one more thing.
    When you are done soldering.
    put a big blob of hot glue all over the whole thing and screw the cap on while it's hot - fill the whole area up. This will help keep the plug from starting to wiggle as it gets older.

6. shooto

shooto Supporting Member