Wiring a 2-12" cab - is series or parallel brighter?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by scottcw, Jan 4, 2008.

1. scottcw

scottcw Low rent hobbyist Silver Supporting Member

Which produces a brighter tone when wiring a 2-12" cab - series or parallel?

Also, I have 2 16 ohm speakers. Is it safe to wire in series for a 32 ohm load if my amp only has an 8 ohm output jack?

2. Grumpyfatman

Grumpyfatman Member

Parallel seems to have more bass and treble. Series seems a little warmer. I've read this on other boards but I also did a bit of testing on my own. My testing was done with 2 8 ohm V30s in an open back Egnater TOL 100 combo amp. In parallel it's 4 ohm, in series it's 16 ohm. Same speakers, different tap on the output transformer. Not an exact scientific test though because there are usually differences in tone between taps on the OT. Different amounts of windings on the tranny make for greater inductance and therefore varying amounts of treble.

If your amp is a tube amp I wouldn't mismatch that far. If you're using a solid state power section it would be OK but it won't be as loud.

3. HKGuns

HKGuns Member

Huh?

How you wire them up is based on the OT not the tone you're after. Output impedance isn't brighter or darker. It is different.

8 to 32 ohm? Only if you like buying transformers!

4. alaskagrown

alaskagrown Member

You could wire different speakers differently to get the same impedance, for example two 4 ohm speakers in series or two 16 ohm speakers in parallel are both 8 ohms. I don't know about the sonic difference, but I'd assume wiring in parallel would be better because in series, you've got a voltage drop across the first speaker, so the second speaker isn't getting as much and they're mismatched.

5. scottcw

scottcw Low rent hobbyist Silver Supporting Member

Wiring in series doubles your impedance. 2-16 ohm in series = 32 ohms.

6. retrobob

retrobob Member

With some amps you can get away with a 50% mismatch.
    But an 8 ohm amp with 32 ohm load is a way big mismatch and a disaster waiting to happen. Hook the two 16 ohm speakers to 8 ohms.

7. KeithC

KeithC Silver Supporting Member

Is there a power handling difference with parallel or series?

I know running a 40 watt amp in parallel into 2 speakers splits the power at 20 watts per speaker.
    Is it the same thing when wiring in series?

FWIW I have wired the same amps and speakers both ways and my ears couldn't hear any tonal differences.
    But, I was just wondering about the power thing!

Sorry to semi hi-jack :AOK

8. sickboy79

sickboy79 Member

IMO - with the same cab - parallel is brigher and tighter than series wiring. I base this off wiring a vintage Marshall 4x12 with G12H30s (16 ohm each). My ears found that paralled yielded a tighter bottom, clearer highs and overall sound. This was wiring the cab to 4 ohms. Series/parrel wiring (my cab to 16 ohms) seems to have a sweeter and warmer sound. The bottom isn't as tight (but not loose by any means), more midrange, and sweeter/warmer top end. And it also depends on the amp in question that you are using with the cab. Both wiring schemes have their advantage. Use your ears for what you like best.

9. Gordon

Gordon Silver Supporting Member

Parallel means lower inductance, brighter tone.

10. hamfist

hamfist Member

I'd always assumed this is a myth.

When you wire up light bulbs in series, you don't get the "first" in the circuit being brighter, followed by all the others in the circuit getting progressively dimmer. My understanding is that speakers (or light bulbs) in a series circuit all experience exactly the same voltage and current.

And to anyone who actually knows about these things - please feel free to comment !

11. Electric I

Electric I Member

Light bulbs in series, if they're of equal wattage, will draw the same current & have equal voltage drops. The same principles apply for inductors (speakers) as well.

12. rockon1

rockon1 Member

No its not safe to run your 8 ohm amp at 32 ohms! Thats a recipe to fry the output tranny fast! Something about flyback voltages aching inside the OT.

Generally speaking a mismatch of one in one direction or the other is OK ie:8 ohm amp with 16 ohm cab,8 ohm amp with 4 ohm cab but not more than that as in 4 ohm amp with 16 ohm cab etc.

Im sure someone will elaborate but dont try it in the meantime. Bob

13. mprvise

mprvise Member

I've never even heard of a 32 ohm cab - do people really do this?

I try to play it safe and always match the cab to the output from the amp. Having several cabs that are wired differently has produced some brief accicental mismatches when swapping things around - no blown amps yet thank goodness!

14. HKGuns

HKGuns Member

Not to be argumentative, but this is not the case. 8 ohm OT to a 16 Ohm cabinet is OK as long as you have a strong OT. As the poster above said, one mismatch in either direction is "usually" OK.

As I stated. Wiring an 8 ohm OT to a 32 ohm cabinet is a quick way to fry an OT.

A mis-match is a mis-match, the direction of the mis-match doesn't matter.

15. rockon1

rockon1 Member

Absolutely.

Thats not my understanding. While a cab ith a higher impedance than the amp may put the OT in harms way from flyback voltages its safer to run a cab with lower impedance than the amp(ie;4 ohm cab with 8 ohm amp) . It actually puts less stress on the output transformer and more on the power tubes. Bob

16. suhr_rodney

suhr_rodney Supporting Member

It's been a long time since my EE classes and theory doesn't always teach practicality. The current is greater in series, certainly, and that lowers inductance (assuming magnetic flux is constant). It makes sense that could affect the tone. Never thought of it, frankly. Interesting post!

17. rockon1

rockon1 Member

As far as series vs parallel. I find series to be slightly looser and slightly edgier/complex sounding. Parallel seems more dampened and slightly less complex/bright.

18. mmorse

mmorse Member

I saw a video some time back of Greg Germino demoing one of his amps with a couple of 412 cabs each with different speakers. He played through one cab and then the other. He played through each cab with the impedance matched and then once each with a mismatch in each direction. In other words, the cabs were 8 ohms and he played the amp at 4, 8 and 16 ohms. His point was that you could get tonal variations by impedance mismatching. The implication was that you could go one step in either direction.

19. rockon1

rockon1 Member

Generally speaking -yes.

20. rockon1

rockon1 Member

Solid state and tubes react differently to load changes. Its always safe to run higher impedance loads with a SS amp. However power output is greatly reduced. If you go below the minimum rating for a SS amp it will fry.