Wiring a 4X10 cab

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by gitarzilla, Feb 4, 2004.

1. gitarzilla

gitarzilla Member

In the garage, fixing stuff my kids broke
    What are the mono wiring options for a cab with 4 8-ohm 10s? I know that straight parallel (I think) would yield a total load of 2 ohms like a Super Reverb. Is there a way to wire it to get a total load of 4, 8 or 16 ohms? And if so, how would that be done? Thanks.

2. VaughnC

VaughnC Supporting Member

Stratight parallel would be 2 ohms....but if you wire two series pairs in parallel you'll end up with 8 ohms. There's no way to get 4 or 16 ohms with four 8 ohm speakers.

3. gitarzilla

gitarzilla Member

Cool, Vaughn. Thanks. 8 ohms will work fine. Now, I just have to fingure out how to wire series/parallel....

4. VaughnC

Does this diagram make any sense to you:

sleeve<- +><- +>tip
    sleeve<- +><- +>tip

5. Reza

Reza Member

6. gitarzilla

gitarzilla Member

Vaughn, mmmm... kinda.

Reza, thanks, that cleared it up.

Usually when I wire 2 speaks in parallel, I wire the + and - from the jack to the + and - on one of the speakers respectively. Then I wire the + and - form that speaker to the + and - respectively on the other speaker. Looks like I may not be able to do that with the series/parallel scheme.

7. VaughnC

If you have 4 speakers, you CAN do the series/parallel wiring.....but you can't do it with only 2 speakers. With series/parallel wiring, you're connecting two series connected speaker pairs in parallel with each other. I don't think I can make it any clearer than this:

jack sleeve><-sp1+><-sp2+><jack tip
    jack sleeve><-sp3+><-sp4+><jack tip

And the drawing Reza referred you to shows the same thing in a different way.

8. gitarzilla

gitarzilla Member

No, I know. 2 speakers can only be series or parallel. I think I got the 4 speaker daigram now. Thanks.