1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

Wiring a 4X10 cab

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by gitarzilla, Feb 4, 2004.

1. gitarzilla

gitarzilla Member

In the garage, fixing stuff my kids broke
    What are the mono wiring options for a cab with 4 8-ohm 10s? I know that straight parallel (I think) would yield a total load of 2 ohms like a Super Reverb. Is there a way to wire it to get a total load of 4, 8 or 16 ohms? And if so, how would that be done? Thanks.

2. VaughnC

VaughnC Supporting Member

Stratight parallel would be 2 ohms....but if you wire two series pairs in parallel you'll end up with 8 ohms. There's no way to get 4 or 16 ohms with four 8 ohm speakers.

3. gitarzilla

gitarzilla Member

Cool, Vaughn. Thanks. 8 ohms will work fine. Now, I just have to fingure out how to wire series/parallel....

4. VaughnC

Does this diagram make any sense to you:

sleeve<- +><- +>tip
    sleeve<- +><- +>tip

5. Reza

Reza Member

6. gitarzilla

gitarzilla Member

Vaughn, mmmm... kinda.

Reza, thanks, that cleared it up.

Usually when I wire 2 speaks in parallel, I wire the + and - from the jack to the + and - on one of the speakers respectively. Then I wire the + and - form that speaker to the + and - respectively on the other speaker. Looks like I may not be able to do that with the series/parallel scheme.

7. VaughnC

If you have 4 speakers, you CAN do the series/parallel wiring.....but you can't do it with only 2 speakers. With series/parallel wiring, you're connecting two series connected speaker pairs in parallel with each other. I don't think I can make it any clearer than this:

jack sleeve><-sp1+><-sp2+><jack tip
    jack sleeve><-sp3+><-sp4+><jack tip

And the drawing Reza referred you to shows the same thing in a different way.

8. gitarzilla

gitarzilla Member

No, I know. 2 speakers can only be series or parallel. I think I got the 4 speaker daigram now. Thanks.