wiring a bass cut with a 3 way rotary switch, can anybody help me out?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by johnny_rocks, Mar 10, 2015.

1. johnny_rocks

johnny_rocks Member

Hi to all, and thanks for checking out my thread.

I have a question for all you wiring and guitar electronic experts out there, hopefully one of you can help me out.

Here's why i'm posting:

I've got a wonderful custom made semi hollow guitar with 3 P-90 pickups and a 6 way switch. I have been trying out some wirings for a bass cut control with various caps, and finally i found a match that i really like (500 kohm pot with a 3,3 nF orange drop). It really makes the guitar even more versatile and useful for me, and makes the middle position sounds stand out quite good.

I found myself using it mostly with all the bass rolled off (pot to 0), somewhere in the middle (pot around 5) or full open (pot to 10). I would like to wire a 3 way rotary switch (3steps 4 pins) to have these settings "pre set". i think i can do it with 250kohm and 500kohm resistors wired in parallel to the cap, is that correct?

I couln't figure it out myself, so could anyone help me out with a diagram, a drawing of the wiring or maybe a link?

Would be awesome.

Thanks to all!

2. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

the only issue is that while "0" and "10" could be done with a switch, "5" might be a moving target depending on what you plug into!

differing impedance loads can make the same settings on guitar controls act differently, so if you replace the pot with a pre-set resistor for that middle setting, you might find it to be too much in some amps and not enough in others.

i frankly recommend sticking with the pot.

3. johnny_rocks

johnny_rocks Member

thanks for your reply.

i have tried it with both of my amps and it works just fine, "5"
    on the pot seems to be the sweet spot, kind of.

so no problem with that :aok

4. bigtone23

bigtone23 Member

That is a tricky target-is the pot audio taper? Many audio pots are at or around about 10% of their value on 5. I suppose you could try a 50K resistor there.
    If it's a linear pot, it would theoretically be 250K at 5. Pots are not that accurate.

5. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

then you just need to pop out that pot and measure its resistance at "5", substituting a resistor of that same value on the middle setting of the switch.