wiring a potentiometer to split coils?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by humbert, Sep 7, 2006.

1. humbert

humbert Member

I have heard of this wiring method by which you wire a 4-conductor humbucker to a pot which only controls the volume of one coil -- so you can fade between a humbucker and single-coil sound.

Anyone know how to wire one of these up?

Thanks!

2. dazco

dazco Member

Yea, it's real simple. Just take the wirw that splits the coils and solder it to the center lug, then solder one of the other lugs to ground. Whichever outer lug you choose to ground will determine which way the pot turns to cut the coil. Assuming the lugs of the pot are facing the body end of the guitar, you would use the lug closest to the strings if you want the coil to cut when turned to zero.

3. humbert

humbert Member

Which lug do you link up to the tone control?

4. has-sound

has-sound Member

You don't have to. The tone control will be connected to the volume control or pickup switch in the case of a Strat.

Your variable coil cut pot will just be connected to the coil junction of the pickup and to ground.

-Stan

5. humbert

humbert Member

Suppose I wanted to do away with my volume pot altogether for the bridge pickup of my LP?

Would I hook up the pickup directly to the lug that I'm not soldering to ground? And then wire the tone control to there? And then send the splitting wires to the center lug?

Thanks!

6. has-sound

has-sound Member

You would send the splitting leads to the center terminal of your splitter pot. You would then solder your hot pickup lead to the input of your tone pot and another wire from the same tone pot terminal to the output jack.

Stan