Wiring a rack drawer

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Black_Label, May 6, 2016.

1. Black_Label

Black_Label Member

For those of you that use a rack drawer for pedals and then feed them into a rack switcher like an RJM or a GCX, how do you route your cables? Straight out the back? Over the side of the drawer and down to the switcher? What has, in practice, worked the best for you? Calling @jnepo1 !

2. Black_Label

Black_Label Member

No rack drawer wirers around here?

3. jsboswell

jsboswell Supporting Member

Back when I used a rack I routed all signal cables to the back left hand corner of the drawer and anchored them there. I then ran them bundled together (with enough slack for drawers to open/close) between the drawer support rails and the rack case to an anchored point to the bottom of the case and then fanned out looped pairs to my switcher. Power cables went in a similar fashion but on the opposite side of the case.

dickjonesify likes this.
  4. papersun

papersun Member

5. Crimson Queen

Crimson Queen Member

When I had one, I wired the harness straight through the middle with enough cable length for the drawer to be pulled out completely. The average cable length was a little less than 4 feet. My system used a GCX and a Raxxess steel rack shelf

6. OilsFan

OilsFan Supporting Member

I tend to go signal bundled down or up one side and power down or up the other but I'll also float the signal wires down the middle if there aren't too many. I avoid a mega bundle and try to keep the wires going to each shelf or processor in their own smaller bundle to help trouble shooting. Leave yourself enough length to avoid binding. I also leave enough slack if I think the shelf might get moved up or down. There are a million situations and a million ways and tips and tricks to do each one so I suggest you get hands on and plan it out. Get all your units in their basic places and plugs some cables in and feel out where they might go etc.

Last edited: May 7, 2016
  7. Chandyland

Chandyland Member

I'm interested in this too since I'm planning on going rack soon.

I had this idea to use one of those Penn Elcom sliding rack drawers with slam locks, upside down with my CIOKS power supplies on the underside. Then I would drill out the back wall for audio jacks and a power cord. This is the drawer I'm referring to:

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 6, 2016
  8. c diddy 5000

c diddy 5000 Member

I would HIGHLY recommend doing as @OilsFan stated and keep your power cables and MIDI lines on 1 side and all of your guitar signal cable bundled on the other. If a system is simple enough, keeping the 3 aforementioned cable types intermingled might not lead to any issues, but in most cases, better safe than sorry. I would also say that you should have everything come off of one side of the shelf and have an excess that will allow you to fully extend the shelf without putting strain on the opposite end that plugs into the switcher. Optimally, you should also secure the switcher side cables to the side of the rack so that nothing accidentally pulls out. It may be overkill, but on hugeracksinc.com, there is a sticky that discusses building a rack from the ground up. lots of stuff in there that you wouldn't think is relevant, but is good to have in the back of your mind. Good luck.

Black_Label and Chandyland like this.
  9. tazzboy

tazzboy Supporting Member

Straight out the back

10. Black_Label

Black_Label Member

This is really helpful, thanks. Too bad that board is shutting down! I don't see a lot about routing cables from rack drawers but it's making me realize I need to go back and isolate just about everything in my rack.

11. mikoo69

mikoo69 Supporting Member

Also installing 3 sliding rack shelves irk a rack soon (pen elcom 14.5" deep shelves).

I use a mini effect gizmo on shelf 1, and shelves 2 and 3 are all fully midi controlled pedals, so I don't need a midi loop switcher for them.

This means each shelf is self contained; however I'll need to send 1-2 instrument cables and 2 midi cables between each shelf (to connect all 3 shelves together.)

Also looking for any advice on how to best do this. Was thinking of possibly getting btpa to make me 3 custom rack patchbay/interfaces...one for each shelf, at the back of the rack...this way each shelf's connections can go to its patchbay; and then I can connect the patchbays together with midi and 1/4" cables without worrying about slack when the shelves are pulled out.

Though that's probably more complicate then it needs to be. Just would hate to have a shelf slide during transport and sever a cable.