• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Wiring a Strat with TWO VOLUMES

SupDude

2 volumes, 1 tone. How different is this than wiring up a normal Strat? I can't seem to find a wiring guide for it, but I know it's been done.

Also if anyone has this it'd be great to hear about how it sounds, or if it's a terrible idea.

I'm open to suggestions

dazco

Look at a LP schematic. They have 2. But with a strat you have 3 pickups so you have to describe exactly what you intend....2 pickups on one volume and the 3rd on it's own or what?

supernosher

why not 3 volumes and a tone blade switch?

pickups -> vol pot -> switch -> output jack or (tone control -> output jack)

Whichever pickups will share one of the volume pots is up to you.

SupDude

Yeah I want to be able to dial them in like a Les Paul.

I was thinking Middle and Neck on one of the volumes, and then Bridge on the other. Then of course just a master tone

R13D

2 volumes, 1 tone. How different is this than wiring up a normal Strat? I can't seem to find a wiring guide for it, but I know it's been done.

Also if anyone has this it'd be great to hear about how it sounds, or if it's a terrible idea.

I'm open to suggestions
I have a Strat wired with 2 volumes,one master tone,three position switch.The middle PU is not wired to the switch as it now has it's own volume.I think the main + to this wiring is you get the neck+bridge and all three on in addition to the usual 5 selections.It was an easy wire up.I did this a while back but I think I got the schematic from Novak Guitars.Hope this helps.

SupDude

Thanks jmax. That definitely helps. so I could just do it the same exact way, but use all 250k correct? That's the set up I want, one volume for neck and middle, the other for bridge, and then the master tone

jmax

Thanks jmax. That definitely helps. so I could just do it the same exact way, but use all 250k correct? That's the set up I want, one volume for neck and middle, the other for bridge, and then the master tone
If they're all 3 single-coils, yes.

But if you have a HB, run it through a 500k volume at least. Sounds much better.

23f

IM going to wire one with a vol for the bridge pup and a vol for the neck pup and a master tone.........just thought i give my 2 cents. been talking to Mick Manlius of Manlius pickups about it and he thinks its a great idea

Scumback Speakers

Platinum Supporting Member
Jack Briggs sent me a wiring diagram for that exact setup. Put it in my Strat, works great with a .047 Bumble Bee cap and WCR SR pickups. If you want that diagram, shoot me an email and I'll send it to you.

Stevocaster

Thought I'd dig this post up to find out if you got to try that setup. I think this is exactly what I want to do to my guitar.

dunara

I've got one of mine wired for three volumes - never used a guitar mounted tone control in my life.

Trending Topics