Wiring advice

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by AlexVoulgarakis, Jun 9, 2006.

1. AlexVoulgarakis

AlexVoulgarakis Member

My guitar has a mini hum (neck), a single coil (middle), a hum (bridge), a 5way selector (super strat style), one volume and one tone pot (each one 500k). The electonic kit i use has a .022mf Hovland capacitor. The output of each pickup is about 6-7K. My current wiring is the following

Position 1: hum
    Position 2: mini hum
    Position 3: single coil
    Position 4: single coil + splited mini hum
    Position 5: splited mini hum

The main problem is that the output of positions 4 and 5 is much lower than the output of the other positions (1, 2, 3), propably due to coil split of the mini hum, and that those two positions (4, 5) sound too blur.

Should i omit coil spliting? Should i use other pots of another resistance or should i try another capacitor?

Somebody told me about a custom wiring that Suhr does to his guitars (he uses a 500k volume pot for his H/S/S strat which becomes 250k when the pot is used for the single coils)? Does such kind of wiring exist?

Thanks in advance.

2. suhr_rodney

suhr_rodney Supporting Member

Adding a resistor from hot to ground can be used to "convert" a 500k pot to a 250k pot. This will affect the high frequency response but not significantly affect the overall output level. You may want to try removing the coil split. I've also seen a push/pull pot used in addition to the 5 way switch to split the humbuckers when desired. You may also want to play with the pickup height some. Slightly raising the single coil and lowering the hums may get you closer to what you're looking for. I doubt they'll ever be exactly the same, but may be able to find an acceptable compromise.

3. Clorenzo

Clorenzo Member

Nothing to do with pot or cap values. Mini hums are generally low output (lower than a PAF) and hence not very likely to work well split. With the Superswitch you can do pretty much anything you want, so what about changing 4 and 5 to [hum + mini hum] and maybe [split hum + single], or even some series combination? If you need help with rewiring the switch drop me a PM.

4. AlexVoulgarakis

AlexVoulgarakis Member

Thanks both of you for your advice.

5. Clorenzo

Clorenzo Member

As a follow-up to our PM exchange, here's the wiring diagram for the switching you requested, in case it's of interest to anyone else:

[​IMG]

Let us know how it works out and drop me a PM if you have any trouble with the wiring.

6. AlexVoulgarakis

AlexVoulgarakis Member

Thank you Carlos. I 'll give it a try tomorrow.
    What am i supposed to do with the little capacitor (.0047uf)?

7. Clorenzo

Clorenzo Member

To be honest I have no idea. Caps in the range 0.01 - 0.1 uF are used for the tone control, caps in the range 150 - 680 pF are used as bleed caps in the volume control, but that value is somewhere in between and I have no idea what's its intended use. Maybe ask RS directly?

8. alderbody

alderbody Member

if i remember well, (and if this is an RS wiring schem) they put .0047uF caps for treble bleeders.

at least they used to do this with their humbucker kits...

9. HarryJ

HarryJ Member

Carlos is 'da man!!

HJ

10. AlexVoulgarakis

AlexVoulgarakis Member

I conntacted with the guys in RS and the send me the following schematic

[​IMG]

11. AlexVoulgarakis

AlexVoulgarakis Member

Somebody told me that it would be preferable to avoid soldering the grounds on the surface of the pots and instead of this to apply "star grounding" (all the grounds go to a wire which is connected to the chassis of the guitar)?
    Once again excuse me.........for being a totally amatuer:crazyguy

12. Clorenzo

Clorenzo Member

That's how you connect a bleed cap so you don't lose treble as you turn the volume down. I was very surprised they use such a huge value (as a reference PRS uses 180 pF, which is 0.00018 uF) and I even checked with John Phillips via PM before mentioning this just in case I was missing something, but I think they're simply selling the wrong cap for this purpose. This is what it will do to the frequency response of a typical PAF with 500k pots:

[​IMG]

Compare with the effect of several cap and cap - resistor combinations of the values normally used (scroll down on this thread):

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=110507

:confused: