1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

Wiring diagrams

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by scottlr, Sep 12, 2006.

1. scottlr

scottlr Member

Is there a site with wiring diagrams for various guitars?

One thing in particular I'd like to see is a diagram showing how to wire a Strat so that the bottom tone control controls the bridge pup either by itself or along with the middle pup.

2. scottlr

scottlr Member

Thanks. I really want to change all of my Strats. And I am going to get an RS Kit for my Tele and LP and I'd like to do them myself, instead of pay someone to do it.

3. shooto

shooto Member

yeah- I do all my electronics now

4. scottlr

scottlr Member

Seems so simple. yet I have always been a bit afraid of trying it. But what can I F up that can't be fixed with what I'd have paid to do it in the first place, if i can't figure it out myself?

5. scottlr

scottlr Member

6. r9player

r9player Silver Supporting Member

plenty of sites out there .. Seymour duncan is nice for standard stuff.
    Guitar Nuts has some nice improvements or try Rothstein

If you mess up, you just a whole load of noise, buzzing and what not, but you wont melt your guitar or blow up yer amp. All wiring can be undone (99% of the time)

7. Ken Swanson

Ken Swanson Member

Scott go for it, it's fun and rewarding. A couple things to be carefull with. You will need a higher wattage soldering iron to solder grounds to the pots, and to your spring claw,but be carefull not to get the pot too hot,or you can ruin it. Also, when soldering your cap to the first tone pot, get a small alligator clip and clip it to the leads of the capacitor. This way, when you start to solder, the clip will take most of the heat, so you do not overheat the capacitor. Good Luck[​IMG]!

8. scottlr

scottlr Member

Hmm, so my 25 watter won't do eh? Bummer, it's fairly new. I just ordered that DVD on soldering. Seemed like something worth watching.

A question or two for you guys that do the RS kits... 1) Do you get the prewired kit or the one you wire yourself? 2) If you do get the one you wire yourself, do you solder it up first like the pre-wired and then install it in the guitar? Or do you solder it up in place inside the guitar. I am guessing inside, and that for the pre-wired versions they have a template to hold everything in place as if it were in a guitar?

9. Brion

Brion Supporting Member

Wire it up inside the guitar or make your own template. If you order a prewired kit you still have to solder your pickups and most likely your output jack to it, so you might as well just do the whole job yourself.

10. scottlr

scottlr Member

Not to mention the experience and savings $$$

Before I do anything, I am going to wait for that DVD and watch it a few times. I may start with something simple like wiring the tone control for my bridge pups in my Strats first. Then look into rewiring the Tele and LP.

11. scottlr

scottlr Member

OK, I just got the DVD, and watched it, and found it pretty straight forward. In fact, I feel confident enough to get a wiring kit for my Tele. But I can't find anywhere locally to buy a flux pen and/or flux paste. Do any of you know of an online site that doesn't charge crazy shipping & handling?

12. Ken Swanson

Ken Swanson Member

Stupid question, did you check radio shack?

13. scottlr

scottlr Member

First place I went, and the only place in town with any supplies at all. The Radio Shack here is pathetic at best.

14. jimmy peters

jimmy peters Member

DONT-DONT -DONT use flux on electrical wiring.
    use resin core solder avail. at all radio shacks, or electronic outlets..
    the flux will eat the wire in no time and as always it will show up in the middle of a gig.;
    jimmy peters

15. scottlr

scottlr Member

According to the DVD by Terry Downs on soldering (highly recommended here), he says to use a rosin flux pen and/or flux paste to remove oxidation on the metal that you are about to solder to. He is not talking about acid flux. I have rosin core solder 63% tin 37% lead, and was looking for the recommended flux as shown in the DVD. Not the stuff used for plumbing.

16. scottlr

scottlr Member

I have rosin core solder, no problem. The DVD suggests using a flux pen on terminals and the backs of pots to clean oxidation off. That is what I am not finding. I found one place online, but they wanted $8.95 S&H! That is OK if I was buying $300 worth of stuff, but not for a $4 item.

17. scottlr

scottlr Member

OK, I just ordered the RS Kits for my LP and Tele. I got all of my supplies bought and I am ready to dive in and just do it! I'll start with the Tele since I have a vid showing me the way. Do these kits come with a diagram?

18. Ken Swanson

Ken Swanson Member

I am pretty sure the RS kits come with a diagram. I seem to remember that mine did. Lots of great websites with good diagrams if not. I know specialty guitars has some great diagrams on their site.
    Cheers