Wiring experts... Help!

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by seagull, Aug 30, 2018.

1. seagull

seagull Member

[​IMG]
    I could use a bit of help. I've got my guitar wired up using this diagram. HH. Bridge humbucker has the magnet reversed so in the middle position I get the two inside slug coils in parallel (with phase and hum cancelling intact). DiMarzio EP1111 4pdt three way switch. One vol pot no tone. I'd like to add a switch (possibly a fender s1 vol pot) to add switching so in the middle position of the EP1111 I can select inside slug coils in parallel (currently) OR the outside screw coils in parallel.

There are DiMarzio diagrams that have this but without the reversed bridge magnet! Which I want to keep (they flip the whole neck pickup around to do something similar). The reversed magnet and reversed wires are confusing me.

Can someone help out with a diagram that would allow me to do this. I love this wiring scheme but want to add a 4th voicing. Thanks in advance.

I've emailed DiMarzio and posted on a guitar wiring Facebook group with no replies from either. Help me out TGPers!

2. seagull

seagull Member

Just adding a pre weekend Friday bump!

Any ideas?

3. Tony Done

Tony Done Member

Reversing the magnet puts the two pickups out of phase*, it isn't the same as reversing the whole pickup. My amp tech mate did an HH for me using a 6PDT on-on-on switch to get series/single/parallel, selecting the screw pole coil for single. I installed the pickups so that the screw poles faced inwards, towards each other.

EDIT. Assuming you didn't also reverse the wiring to suit.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2018
  4. seagull

seagull Member

Yes. In this case the wiring and the magnet is switched to accommodate the inner coils being selected and still have them in phase and hum cancelling in parallel in the middle selection. This is the only diagram on the DiMarzio site that has the magnet flipped to achieve this. I'm sure there is a way to add another switch to add the outside coils in parallel (when in the middle position of the switch) because there are diagrams on the site that do exactly this BUT I'm confused by the different ways to achieve this (without flipping the magnet) and also that I'm actually using Seymour Duncan pickups (where the wiring colors are different). So between the wiring, magnets and my lack of skill in the area I was hoping someone with more knowledge could help out. Maybe I need to create an an account on either the SD or DiMarzio user forum and try there.

Anyone else??

5. Mincer

Mincer Member

I did something similar with Duncans and a 5 way switch. It involved switching to inner or outer coils, in phase and humbucking, but I did have to flip a magnet.

6. seagull

seagull Member

Yes. SD has a diagram for exactly this with a super switch only I don't have spot for a blade switch in my guitar. Just got the spot for the toggle switch and a push/pull/S1 pot. I've heard the examples of the inner and outer parallel wiring and I'd like to add it if it's possible. It's my go to guitar and I really like the current neck/inner coils in parallel/bridge options but would like to add the option for outer coils in parallel.

Mincer likes this.
  7. a person

a person Member

If you flip the magnet you have to flip the wires. With a Duncan that means you reverse black & green, and you reverse red & white from the way they are shown in the diagram. Red & white typically go together, so you won't have to do anything different with them unless you are doing series/parallel switching.