Wiring Gurus, pls help --- Part 2

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by 2y., Mar 1, 2012.

1. 2y.

2y. Member

gday, all

Have a Suhr Classic T with a 3-way switch and Silent Single Coil System wired to a push/PULL volume pot.

This is my main axe and am trying to get some more funk tones and that gnarly fuzz tone on the neck when you incorporate a capacitor to cut the highs (’52 wiring).

I’d like to be able to engage/disengage the capacitor (via a push/PULL, S1, etc) so that the following options are available:

1 (volume push, tone n/a) – Bridge with SSC
    1 (volume PULL, tone n/a) – Bridge

2 (volume push, tone push) – Blend with SSC
    2 (volume PULL, tone push) – Blend
    2 (volume push, tone PULL) – Blend with SSC + capacitor on neck pickup
    2 (volume PULL, tone PULL) – Blend with capacitor on neck pickup engaged

3 (volume push, tone push) – Neck with SSC
    3 (volume PULL, tone push) – Neck
    3 (volume PULL, tone PULL) – Neck with capacitor
    3 (volume push, tone PULL) – Neck with SSC and capacitor on neck pickup engaged

Can anyone (John or Walter maybe...) explain if this might work or if it is, yet again, another one of my overly-complicated wiring pipe dreams (see http://www.thegearpage.net/board/archive/index.php/t-976480.html).

Any feedback is appreciated -- thx!

2. GM Reszel

GM Reszel Member

Too much for me to compute, I apologize...

3. Rockledge

Rockledge Member

Why not just make it simple by replacing your tone put with a push pull and running the cap through it? Less wiring, easier to remember what is what.

4. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

you can't have "both with a cap on the neck pickup".

in parallel (like all normal F-type instruments when more than one pickup is on) any tone cap affects everything, not just one pickup.

you have all these options, just by turning the tone knob down when warranted. (well, OK, it might have a smaller tone cap than the vintage tele "mud" cap, but that's a 99¢ mod.)