1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Wiring HD Z90s into a McCarty? Help!

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by kwk13, Jun 16, 2005.

1. kwk13

kwk13 Supporting Member

Does anybody have information on the correct way to wire a set of HD Z90s (or any single coil PU) into a McCarty? The thing that has me wondering is- do you need to do anything special to eliminate the push/pull pot or can you just connect the PUs and the push/pull pot will eliminate itself? Any help would be appreciated! I'm obviously not extremely technical but have wired pickups before. It's mostly just been swap wire type installs though.

Thank You,

Keith

2. Jim Collins

Jim Collins Member

You do not have to do anything to eliminate the push/pull. The two stock McCarty pickups each have a single lead going to the DPDT on the push/pull. By removing the stock pickups, you will be disconnecting those extra leads. There is a lead that goes from the DPDT to ground (volume pot casing). Do not bother removing this lead. It doesn't hurt.

3. kwk13

kwk13 Supporting Member

Thanks for the info Jim!!

4. JoeYello

JoeYello Member

KWK13........I would suggest you note how the stock pickups are wired so you can put them back in correctly. You never know when you may end up selling that guitar :D

5. kwk13

kwk13 Supporting Member

Hey! Do I know you??