Wiring help - 1 volume 2 tones

balata9999

I am redoing some pickup wiring on a guitar. I originally had a master volume and two tone controls and I switched it a few months ago to 2 volumes with a master tone. Now I cant remember how it was wired before, and I want to go back. I could benefit from some help.

Its a two humbucker 3 pot guitar and the 3 way switch is on the upper horn. Before, I know it was wired with the pickups wired to the pots, then to the switch. The only diagrams I can find for 1 vol 2 tone have the pickups going to the switch then to the pots. The Les Paul diagrams I have found have the pickups going to the separate volume pots, but I'm not sure how to do it with a single master volume. Can I wire the pickups directly to the seperate tone controls, then to the master volume, then to the switch, then to the out jack from there? Help appreciated. Thanks.

KGWagner

This is a pretty standard way of doing it...

wd2hh3t12_00__91377.1470694390.1280.1280.jpg

Whether you wire the pickups directly to the switch or the tone controls matters not. They're the same point electrically.

balata9999

Ok Thanks. I see it now, I can wire the pickup hot to the middle lug of the tone controls then connect that to the switch. I appreciate the reply.

KGWagner

A lot of wiring diagrams don't make it clear how things work, they're just for assembly by people who don't necessarily know or care. Schematics make operation more explicit, and let you make some decisions on your own. The diagrams at Guitar Electronics are sort of a hybrid of the two.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom