Wiring Help?

Salty9

Platinum Supporting Member
Hi,

I would really appreciate some feedback on a project I want to complete.

I am trying to alter the wiring in my Jazzmaster and drew up a diagram. I honestly do not completely understand guitar wiring, but tried to mash together other wiring ideas I found online that I think give me what I want.

I am putting a tele style jazzmaster pickup in the bridge and want to be able to give it its own tone control.

I do not usual use the rhythm circuit, so I want to to turn it into a bass cut similar to what G&L's have.

Does this seem like it would work?

Thanks in advance!

Salty9

Thanks for the reply! Cool! I am a bit nervous, since I do not really grasp it all yet. It is not a lot of fun to take a guitar apart, wire it, put it back together and only to find it does not work. :)

I think the tone pots off the 3 way switch confused me a bit. I guess they just determine what part of the signal is passed to ground?

Mreilander

I think the tone pots off the 3 way switch confused me a bit. I guess they just determine what part of the signal is passed to ground?
That is correct. The combination of the cap and resistor (pot) determines which frequencies are passed to ground. The remains become your signal.

Salty9

Okay, so for the most part this wiring seems to be working. I just have it wired up and have not put the pickguard back in the guitar yet.

When I am in the middle position both pickups are affected by both tone knobs. Is there a way to avoid that?

I am not positive that the bass cut is working the way I thought it would, but maybe with strings I can hear it do what I thought it would.

I used the bottom design for the bass cut control:

I expected that the amount of bass cut would be controlled by the pot, but I am not hearing any changes as I tap on the pickup and turn the pot. Am I expecting the wrong result? Maybe it will be more apparent with strings on?

Trending Topics