Wiring Issue?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by ssmorga78, May 11, 2015.

1. ssmorga78

ssmorga78 Member

OK, I am guessing this is a wiring issue, but I'm not really sure. Just recently put together a Les Paul. Wired it from the ground up using 50's wiring, CTS pots, Switchcraft Jack and Switch, Orange Drop caps with braided pushback wiring. Got the pickups wired in(490r&498t....swapped the magnets with each other,A2 in bridge and A5 in neck) and everything works great......until I hit the middle position. When I do, as long as both volumes are equal...it sounds great, but if you roll one volume back even the slightest bit it jumps to the full sound of the other pup and has a bit of a volume increase. I've tried other guitars I have(ES-137, 335) and don't have that issue. Did I screw up some wiring or did I screw up the magnets in the pups?
    Any ideas or suggestions. I know that I took the magnets out and put them in the other pickup the same way they came out.

2. Jason_77

Jason_77 Member

It sounds like your pickups are out of phase. Either you reversed the wiring (which I doubt since it's braided wire) or you put one of the magnets back in the wrong direction. My money would be on the magnets. Look at it this way: accidental Peter Green mod!

3. EADGBE

EADGBE Member

Could you live with it like it is?