Wiring LP for coil taps

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by Crowbar, Feb 27, 2012.

1. Crowbar

Crowbar Member

Hey Folks,

I am thinking of modifying my Les Paul. After 17 years of use, why bother now, HaHa!

Anyway, I would like to try a coil tap with a push/pull knob, pull the knob cut both pups at once.
    Maybe another pull knob to bypass all pots and straight out. Anyone do this? Does it make a difference?

I've played an old Dimarzio Dual Sound and found the cut position too thin for me. I once played a PRS McCarty and found the coil taps to be very nice. Havn't tried the new LP's with taps.

My big obstacle right now is choosing pickups, there are so many of em out there its downright confusing for this old dog.
    Oh, and its a 1980's LesPaul, just two conductor pups, can't tap em.
    Thanx

2. dascher

dascher Member

I just bought some WCR Godwoods havent had them installed yet. I think there's some diagrams on the Duncan website

3. scotchtape800

scotchtape800 Member

Yeah there are tons on the SD website. Pretty good actually!

4. dascher

dascher Member

I guess my question is similar to this so Ill ask here. I'm looking to get 2 push pulls. Is it possible to have one pot tap both pickups and the other to go series?

5. Rod

Rod Tone is Paramount Silver Supporting Member

I don't think I've ever seen that done

6. dascher

dascher Member

Yea its a strange request. I heard that series wiring was good for Phish and the coil taps are just cool :)

7. Rock Johnson

Rock Johnson Member

It's certainly possible.

I'd recommend you look into Duncan Triple Shot pickup rings. You can use them to select either coil of the humbucker, and to select series or parallel wiring of that given humbucker.

Then you could use push pulls to go back and forth between both 'buckers series or parallel relative to each other, and/or in/out of phase.

Be warned - somewhere in there, time travel will occur.

8. GuitarBuilder

GuitarBuilder Member

9. Sensible Musician

Sensible Musician Member

to split a humbucker you just ground the series link. so put a lead to ground across both poles in one position and center lug of each pole is the respective series link

why are you changing pickups? do you think you have to because they aren't 4 conductor? you can carefully open a pickup and wire it as 4-conductor. you can get the hookup wire anywhere: stewmac, mojo etc

yes running pickups unloaded makes an obvious difference. it is super nice on the neck PU of a tele. brighter, louder, more detail

10. dascher

dascher Member

:roll

I'm changing the stock pickups, we're just not getting along lately. Been looking at some 4 conductor options along with upgrading the volume pots to 500k push pulls. I have no real tech knowledge, how much would it be to rewind a pickup to have 4 conductors. Someone offered me good pups but there 2 conductor.

Edit: And by series I mean both pups in series with each other, not one in standard series. Just to clear things up. Those triple shot switches look a little too crazy

11. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

before you change pickups, change the pots! that guitar likely has the godawful combination of 300k volumes and 100k tones, which totally choke the life out of the pickups.

some 500k audio tapers all around and you might just fall in love with the stock pickups as they are, and have no need to split them.

(and the term is "split", as opposed to "tap", which is a different thing.)