Wiring question...

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by cyguitar, Feb 12, 2012.

1. cyguitar

cyguitar Member

I'm wiring up a bass, two pickups, one volume, one tone, and a three way toggle switch. Should I solder the cap to the back of the tone pot like in this diagram?[​IMG]
    Or can I connect one leg of the cap to the tone pot, and the other leg to the volume? There would be no need to use a separate wire to connect from the volume to the tone. Kind of like in a typical LP/SG type wiring. Are there any differences in sound or functionality in one vs the other?

2. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

all that matters is which lug of the volume pot gets the tone circuit, however you wire that up.

tone attached to the clockwise lug with the pickups = "modern", with the volume and tone knobs each acting normally in all settings

tone attached to the center lug with the output = "50s", with interactive pots that change what they do depending on how the other one is set

3. walterw

also, you're gonna want a linear volume and an audio tone for each pot to work best for bass.

4. cyguitar

cyguitar Member

I didn't know that. I have two Audio taper pots. Doesn't Fender use Audio taper pots on their basses?

Last edited: Feb 12, 2012
  5. walterw

yep, and you'll find that the volume drops off really quickly from 10 on them.

through a typical clean bass amp tone, linear volumes will be much more even.

(with guitars into overdrive, it's the opposite; linears do nothing until they're almost all the way down, while audios "clean up" evenly.)