wiring schematic for double neck Tele

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by slydgtrplyr, Feb 16, 2012.

1. slydgtrplyr

slydgtrplyr Member

I am looking for a wiring schematic for a telecaster double neck,Can anyone help me with that please. A customer of mine purchased a chinese double neck that has very inferior electronics not to mention that is improperly wired. I have looked everywhere and it is getting frustrating!

2. GM Reszel

GM Reszel Member

Do you have some pics? Is it just two standard teles and a toggle that does either neck or both? Post pics please and I'll try to help.

3. slydgtrplyr

slydgtrplyr Member

I apoligize but I am unsure how to post pics as I am a new at this. It is a 12/6 string Tele with one set of controls for both necks and a 3way switch to switch necks. I am not sure how to wire both necks to one set of controls and how to wire the 3way between them it would be easier if they both had they're own controls I plan to gut the guitar and rewire completely using quality parts Pots,Switches,Pups etc. I thank you for your reply and I will try and figure out how to upload pics as soon as poss.

4. GM Reszel

GM Reszel Member

Ok, we'll wait for pics. I agree that it seems like you'd like each neck to have independent controls.

5. fumbler

fumbler Member

Hmmm . . your photos don't really show how it's wired. Give us a shot of the wiring of that toggle switch; it looks like the pickups go there first. I would guess that toggle switch might be a dpdt and (1) both neck pickups go to one side of that toggle switch and then the common goes to the normal tele blade switch (2) both bridge pickups go to the other side of the toggle and then the common to the blade switch. But that wouldn't allow both necks on at the same time.

Anyway, fixed those links for ya'
    And here are the photos:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 17, 2012
  6. Sensible Musician

Sensible Musician Member

what is the desired functionality? there is nothing to go on in the question.

i get the vibe that you want to wire it up like the manufacturer intended? the switch on the horn is probably a DPDT where the common terminals probably substitute for the pickup leads in a normal tele, with the outer terminals then obviously being the respective pickup pairs

either that or the two poles of the blade switch take care of the respective pickup pairs and the toggle is a single pole between the blade switch and the volume pot.

have you traced what you've got and looked for errors on your schemo? continuity test switches?

7. slydgtrplyr

slydgtrplyr Member

The desired fuction is for each neck to operate like a Tele should and be able to switch between necks (up 12string, middle both down 6string) as it stands now both necks(no matter what position the 3way is in) are always on and nothing is working proper at the plate. I have not bothered with mapping it because due to the cheap chinese way of doing things they changed colors of the harness half way cause they ran out of wire on the way to its destination,using masking tape to hide splicing, some are not soldered etc. etc. etc. so my goal is to find out a proper way and start from scratch.I will send a pic of the switch but I can tell you that it is a cheap 3way like you would find in a chinese Les Paul. More to come.

8. Sensible Musician

Sensible Musician Member

9. slydgtrplyr

slydgtrplyr Member

Thank you for taking time out of your day to help me with this issue I appreciate it very much!!!!

10. ReginaldBisquet

ReginaldBisquet Member

11. slydgtrplyr

slydgtrplyr Member

Thank you very much that was exactly what I was lookin for Hehe!!!