• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Wiring Tele pickups into a Les Paul. Anything I should be concerned about?

So because I am insane I decided to put some Tele pickups into my Les Paul. I already have the mounting rings and they are in place and ready to go.

I was wondering if there's anything I need to change as far as soldering to the pots? I was just planning on wiring up the same way the humbuckers were instead of swapping pots and such. I know that since the LP has 500k pots the pickups will be extremely bright, but I am ok with that.

So, am I going to explode my guitar by doing this? haha :bonk

robertkoa

You should seek professional help. (Not talking about a luthier either!)
Ha ! I disagree with this but it is very funny !

I may have a Luthier put a single coil into an LP for an H-S-H- but it won't be a real '59 ( ! ) probably a Studio or Bonamassa if I do it.

Of course converting a Les Paul to H-S-H will ADD to it's capabilities not change it completely into a Paulecaster.

The actual Exploding Les Pauls from Tele Pickups are pretty rare- and they were small explosions, I heard- after the Mod, strum it hard and then run just to make sure......if it doesn't explode right away- you're safe- except from outraged LP Owners .

Last edited:

AA864

Anything I should be concerned about?
Ahh, Yes, you are putting the wrong Pups into a LP.

Seriously, have fun, take pics and post sounds clips so we can mock you further. :)

A picture!!

And now my question:

So far it sounds great except for the middle position that is doing strange things. with the both volume knobs all the way up in the middle position it sounds tinny and quiet, but turn down either one of the volume knobs any little bit and it warms up and gets louder but doesn't have a whole lot of clarity. I THINK I know what the problem is but I want to make sure. I followed the pickup selector switch wire and saw that the wire for the middle of the switch is spliced in and going to the input jack. Should that wire be attached to the volume pots somehow?

Oops did I forget to put "style" at the end of "Les paul"? Sorry, it is an Agile 2000 Les Paul Style guitar. The tone isnt too bad actually! I was expecting brighter but thr pickups aren't too bright to begin with so I think it balanced. Oh and no routing was required, just some filing of pickup rings

ReddRanger

A guy at Gibson actually came up with this idea back in the 50's when the Fender Telecaster started getting really popular.

They fired him and to this day nobody at Gibson speaks his name. He's only referred to as "that guy".

;)

A guy at Gibson actually came up with this idea back in the 50's when the Fender Telecaster started getting really popular.

They fired him and to this day nobody at Gibson speaks his name. He's only referred to as "that guy".

;)
I feel like That Guy and I would get along real well ha ha ha ha

Trending Topics

Top Bottom