Wiring Tele with a Push Pull Volume...

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by redgold, May 31, 2015.

1. redgold

redgold Supporting Member

...so I have a new mojotone CTS push pull volume and I'm trying to wire up my tele with a single neck and hot lead stack humbucker in the bridge with a coil tap. I'm working off this diagram:

View attachment 2358

But there is no way to bend back the third lug to touch the pot. Can I wire up as is without the lug touching the pot?

TIA!

2. boyce89976

boyce89976 Supporting Member

The 3rd lug is a ground... just solder a wire from the 3rd lug to the pot to create the ground connection.

3. redgold

The top of the pot is completely covered with the plastic housing for the push pull...should I solder a wire from the third lug to the side of the pot?

4. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

ground is ground; solder a wire from that third lug to anything that's ground. the side of a pot is as good as anything else, as long as you don't get solder in any of the holes in the pot casing.

5. redgold

Then what is the point of soldering the third lug to it's own casing as shown in the wiring diagram? Can't I just solder the third lug to the pot casing of the tone control? Or am I missing something...

6. walterw

you're totally not; solder it anywhere that's ground, one pot casing works as well as another.

usually you solder to the volume's own casing because it's right there.

7. redgold

So I can just run all the grounds to the volume third lug then wire the third lug to the tone pot casing? I don't have to ground the volume pot casing at all?

8. twostring

twostring Member

Typically, the control plate will conduct. As long as you've got a wire connected from the jack ground to something in contact with that plate, then all surface metal on the pots, switches, etc. will be grounded. You can solder a wire from the lug to any of those items and it will be connected to ground. Buy a cheap multimeter and test continuity...you'll see what I'm talking about.

9. walterw

circuit-wise yes, but i don't recommend soldering so much stuff to one lug of one pot, just because you risk cooking it from all the heat. if the tone pot is a normal metal can pot, that would make a better "ground bus" to solder all the grounds to, just because you can do each one separately to its own little spot.

hell, if it were me i'd put the push-pull on the tone, and make the volume the regular pot, just so the push-pull knob would be more out of the way when playing.