• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Wiring two 1x12s for parallel use?

Matt117

I have two 16ohm speakers, and a 1x12 cab and I am going to be building myself another 1x12 cab as I've decided the portability of just grabbing one when I go play at church is easier.

Now 32ohm is not an option on my amp, much like yours.
So I need to do these in parallel.. Do you just wire each 1x12 in parallel? How does that look? Assuming one has an in plug in only and the other has an in and out plug.

Diagrams or videos would be the best.. but Im sure some of you can explain it well enough that even I can picture it.

Phletch

Here's how you do your first cabinet in the daisy chain. You'll see that you just wire (the speaker in the cabinet with the two jacks) the positive to one jack and the negative to the other, then just jump the positive and negative of each jack to each other, and that's your parallel circuit.

lostpoet2

Silver Supporting Member
Plug your amp into the in/input of the one with two plugs. Use another speaker cable from its out jack to the second cab with the single plug. Rock out.

Matt117

Carefully.
Yes... But how does a single cab with only an input jack get wired for use of parallel. Is it just that the first cab having an in and out jack get wired for parallel and then it's all good? Like the video shows above how to wire a in and out jack for parallel. Just what action does it require on the extension cab.

gw247

There are excellent books available about such things.
Oddly enough, there are some dangerous writing, about ohms, parallel and series wiring. An electrician, in their attempt to be complete, often creates blueprints that have too much or little information to be suitable. (as does my post)

I'm still looking to find simple diagrams of wiring two single speaker cabinets, to be used together, using either series or parallel wiring. The ability to change their ohm loads, without opening their cabinets, so as to be used with different amps, (mono or stereo), by switches or plugging in cables, is bypassed by the authors, although Marshall amp heads and cabinets use these features.

I like all I've seen here so far. (Jensen, has a fairly clear speaker wiring page.) My pair of 4ohm 1x10 Jensens cabinets will be twice as useful, when I wire the pair for 8 ohm mono, also. The problem is them, (or just one of them), being switchable, giving me both ohms that my Crate Powerblock requires for maximum efficiency and reliability, either as a 150 watt mono @ 8 ohm or 2x75 watts stereo @ 4 ohms. (the stereo is useful for ipad, pc, cd, etc.) the mono is very loud for a backup stage or practice guitar amp.

The subject of overloading amps and speakers is usually summed up as: "buyer beware". I run my Marshall 900 slx into a 15" 16 ohm speaker. Why? The Marshall head had switchable ohm loads. The Peavey Scorpion speaker was mounted into a large dusty Music Man 65 cabinet. (It had wheels. :)..)

Phletch

Yes... But how does a single cab with only an input jack get wired for use of parallel. Is it just that the first cab having an in and out jack get wired for parallel and then it's all good?
Yes, like I explained it earlier. The first cab in the daisy chain (the one that will connect directly to the amp) gets the dual jack. Then you just plug in the second cab (with its single jack/input) to the unused jack in the first cabinet, and Bob's your uncle.
Like the video shows above how to wire a in and out jack for parallel. Just what action does it require on the extension cab.
With just one jack, you solder the two wires from the speaker, one to each pole on the jack. That's it.

This is pretty basic stuff if you have a basic understanding of the difference between parallel and series wiring/circuits. If not, there are plenty of resources on the net to get you up to speed, or you can just ask somebody who knows what they're doing to do it for you or supervise/QC your work.

gw247

I sent Pro Cable an e-mail request. Their page listed the parallel Y connector, but I think I need the series, (which is mentioned there). Hopefully it will increase the load X2. As opposed to dividing the load in half, like Matt needs. I need to convert two 4 ohms speakers with a series Y cord into an 8 ohm single cable. It's a much simpler solution than I had planed. The fact that you can use a pair of speakers for three different ohm loads was news to me a year ago. I guess I'll expect a meter reading of 7 plus or minus 1? Thanks for letting me hook up also.

gw247

http://www.tedweber.com/y-cable

Matt: I think this would be an easy cheap fix. $11 10ft parallel Y. (buyer beware)

Me on the other hand needing a series Y. 10ft. Looks like Pro Cable will charge well over $5O for almost the same thing.

Good luck.

Trending Topics