Wiring up a 2x12 w/ EVM-12L - Use Compression Tabs?

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by traviswalk, Oct 16, 2008.

1. traviswalk

traviswalk In the Great State Gold Supporting Member

I've got a new empty 2x12 cabinet with two EVM-12L speakers ready to go into it. 16ohms each being wired in parallel for 8ohms. Should I set it up the following way and the main question on the use of the compression tabs vs. soldering on to the bare tabs:

Jack --> Compression Tabs on Speaker A
    Speaker A Compression Tabs --> Speaker B Compression Tabs

OR

Jack --> Compression Tabs on Speaker A
    Speaker A bare tabs w/ solder --> Speaker B Compression Tabs

Essentially are the compression tabs on the EVM-12Ls good enough for long term use or am I better off soldering? And if I do use compression tabs can I have them as both the input from the jack on Speaker A as well as the output from Speaker A to Speaker B? Thanks!

2. VikingAmps

VikingAmps Member

I didn't know EVs had anything but the spring loaded hookups.

3. mark norwine

mark norwine Member

They don't! That's the only way I've ever known an EVM to be offered.

Pardon the dust....

[​IMG]

4. phsyconoodler

phsyconoodler Member

He's calling the spring loaded lead holders 'compression tabs'.
    I use then on my EV's with no issues.If they lose their spring then don't use them.

5. guitarslinger21

guitarslinger21 Member

I've never had a problem with them.

Where would you SOlder something?

6. traviswalk

Thanks guys for the help. Yes, spring loaders, compression tabs, etc. This is the newest ones, seem to have both options (see below). So on Speaker A, I can use the same tab for the wire in from the jack and the wire our to Speaker B?

[​IMG]

7. veldt666

veldt666 Member

On a similar Issue, I recently went to install 2 EVM12L's in a cab, that had the wiring soldered to the previous Eminence speakers.

I have a problem, in that the speaker wire is too thick to fit two wires into the EVM spring terminals.

Is it safe to use smaller diameter wire, or does anyone have any suggestions or experience of the same?

8. traviswalk

I just finished this up over the weekend and found the same problem that the wire was too thick for the spring terminals. I used the Van den Hul speaker cable from Lava Cable and remedied this by peeling back some of the wires to make a smaller diameter wire. With this I was able to put in both the input and output wire into the first of the two speakers. Plus, on the soldering side I had to narrow the diameter to wrap on the jack posts. All in all, worked out very well and even for a set of speakers that haven't had time to break in, they sounded mighty good with a variety of amps. It is not joke that these things put out a clear and uneffected tone, and what volume! Very happy, I will post pics tonight.