Wiring up new rig help please?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by drneely, Jul 18, 2008.

1. drneely

drneely Member

OK so ive decided to finally build me a rig using a gcw and ground control pro to switch effects in and out to clean up my signal and have a more pro type sound. i have never done any midi programming so im scared shitless to be honest. im probably going to get a 12 space or so(in case i want to add later) shock mounted nice rack deal and put in some pedal drawers. and since i change amps so often i dont want to include a head in the case or anything so it will be just so my signal is as clean as possible in front of the amp. with all that said im wondering the best method to wiring up the pedals to the gcx looper. i see the george l and planet waves cable making packs so you can cut your own lengths but both get horrible reviews saying the cables cut out and all kinds of stuff b/c its not a real soldered connection. so im wondering what other people who have done their own rigs what they do about this. whether they cut their own or just measure it up and order a good cable thats a generic length that closest to what they need and just have some extra slack? any help is really appreciated and anyone who has done some midi programming expect me to be coming back for help
    thanks guys

Last edited: Jul 19, 2008
  2. frizbplaya

frizbplaya Member

I used to use George L but didn't have luck - some people have had great luck with them though. Now I solder my own cables and it works great. I taught my self to solder with a youtube video! I use Mogami cable ($0.75/foot) and G&H connecters ($3-4 per). The price of my soldering iron, solder, and cable parts came out to less than I could buy George L (or similar) for. If you want solderless, look at Lavacable, I've never used them but I hear great things. Good luck!

I'll be doing my first MIDI programming too, I got a pedal switcher/MIDI controller I'm going to use to controll a Time Factor through MIDI. No idea how it works!!

3. drneely

drneely Member

thanks for the comment im thinking about learning to solder so i can have that great connection and i heard many people having great luck with mogami

4. vorvick

vorvick Member

Hey drneely:

It's too bad some folks have had such a bad experience with George L's. I've used them on my board for about 7 years now and never had a failure. I think when I was running a George L from the board to my guitar I had one fritz, and then it's just a matter of snipping an inch off the end and plugging it back in. I've also wired my teenage son's board (actually a EHX pedal BAG) with George L's and that's never failed either. And he's not very careful with it... If you follow the instructions, they're worth a try.

Get a cheap line tester so you know immediately if you've made a good cable.

Regarding pedals in a drawer... cool if you don't need access to them during a performance, but I always want mine near at hand for changing settings.

Have fun,

V

5. this1smyne

this1smyne Member

+1 to V. George L's are as good as you make them. i've never had a live short in a cable, a few made that were DOA, but within minutes i had fixed them, tested them, and reinstalled them on my board. currently i'm running them through my Trailer Trash, and they work awesome. Have taken them on the road with me for several years (not 7, but like 5) and they are the best cables i've owned. granted i've never tried Lava bc i've never had a problem, so i'm sure they're good too. but solderless cables are not a bad thing, and you can fix new ones on a fly if something comes up. teh ends are reusable and the cable is cheap.

6. drneely

drneely Member

i might end up giving the george l's a shot, i use them for my guitar to amp on either side of my pedal board now and love them, i know they make great cables it was just this make your own pack that was getting the bad reviews. they arent just too expensive so maybe ill give them a shot. thanks again for the replies