wish-list high end VOX mic ?

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by Cary Chilton, Jan 10, 2006.

1. Cary Chilton

Cary Chilton Senior Member

What mics have been the dream mic for your studio?
    I have been day dreaming about the manley reference or a c12.

2. 1radicalron

1radicalron Member

I Own a Manley Gold Reference,
    AKG C-12 VR,
    Neumann U-47, U-87,
    Beyerdynamic MC-740

They are all Great Mic's, But It depends on the Application.

*The Manley Mic is Really Incredible. Killer High end Clarity. But I would not recomend it for Female Vocals. Killer on Acoustic Guitar, Male Vocals, Room Recording Etc...
    *The C-12 VR is completly Opposite. It is Dark and Very Tubey Sounding!?! Its My Personal Favorite for Recording Trumpet and Saxophones.
    *The Neumann U-47 is truly the Ultimate Vocal Mic. It seems to Place its Sonic Signature on Everything. It is the Only Mic That I have ever heard that actually Helps Vocals Sound Better. = I Call it Harmonic Enhancement.
    *U-87 is Also a Killer Vocal Mic. Especially when Recording onto Analog Tape. But it has a Much Cleaner Sound Compared to Tube mic's.

A Good Mic Pre is Needed with all the Great Mic's. - And I dont mean Mackie!

3. Chiba

Chiba Gold Supporting Member

Already have it - BLUE Dragonfly. I've yet to find a voice it doesn't work with.

--chiba

4. Red Ant

Red Ant Member

My Telefunken U67 Tube has been my go to mic for about 12 years now, ever since i got it :D

5. matte

matte Senior Member

6. MichaelK

MichaelK Member

I'm jonesing for a Lawson combo package.

7. elambo

elambo Member

I'm fortunate to work at a place that that already has what I consider the three ultimate vocal mics: C12, 251, U47. Each is different, but amazing in their own way. What's often considered to be the absolute finest vocal mic is the 251, and I think I might agree, but there are times where one of the other two are better suited for a specific singer/style.

8. stratofied

stratofied Member

Gene builds a very good sounding mic.

9. Cary Chilton

Cary Chilton Senior Member

I know Alanis Morisette used an akg condenser, but how are newer akg's on male vox? What model?

10. MichaelK

MichaelK Member

Yes he does. I've only heard his U47 knockoff but several people I know say his 251 is also pretty good.

11. LSchefman

LSchefman Member

I've used lots of new and classic mics, but strangely enough, my favorite for vocals is the early Blue Mouse with the transformer. I was dumb enough to trade mine in on a Blue Kiwi, which I didn't like nearly as much. The Mouse I had simply never needed EQ, and sat in a mix in a really nice way, with male and female vocals.

Not great on acoustic guitar, excellent on sax and standup bass.

Now that they've changed the Mouse to a transformerless design, I'm still looking for something to replace it with, and have had little luck.

12. TAVD

TAVD Guitar Player Gold Supporting Member

Korby Kat is on my wish list.

13. loudboy

loudboy Member

I picked up one of these last summer - it's very nice on the right lead vocal. Can be too bright on some, but I use it all the time for BG vocals, as it puts them right where you want 'em, w/great detail and not much EQ.

I found out last night that it's amazing on nylon string guitar, also. Best sound I've ever gotten, on a nice Taylor and a cheap Aria.

I'd like to get a 251 knockoff, we got a Soundelux E47 this summer, and it's amazing, but now we're spoiled and need that OTHER classic mic...

Loudboy

14. LSchefman

LSchefman Member

>>I found out last night that it's amazing on nylon string guitar, also<<

That makes sense to me. I never tried it on that instrument. Seems like its inherent articulation would help a nylon string guitar.

15. neve1073

neve1073 Member

Nice!

My favorites are the u67 and u47/8 and the tele 251 and any neumann with the m7 capsule. I haven't yet heard any of the modern imitators that sound as beautiful. This is for a variety of reasons. For instance, the 47 imitations on the market today, many of which are nice mics, cannot sound the same because they aren't based around the vf14 tube which is incredibly rare and expensive NOS ($1500+).

I guess my dream vox mic would be to own Richard Dodd's 251 that he used to record Johnny Cash.

16. KungFuLio

KungFuLio Senior Member

In front of a pair of speakers... sometimes 5.1
    Worked with a lot of mics but I crave having a Brauner VM1-KHE

17. TAVD

TAVD Guitar Player Gold Supporting Member

Also add that tube Pearl mic to my list.

18. MichaelK

MichaelK Member

[offtopic]
    A classical violin/piano duo I know, both great players, made a recording just last week using a pair of Pearl CO-22s. The engineer (whom I don't know) said he thinks it's one of maybe only three or four pairs in Atlanta. He might be right. I'm excited about hearing the results.

They recorded in a small wood-walled chapel at a local synagogue, a room I know for its gorgeous acoustics. A long-ish, narrow room with a high ceiling. Lots of early reflections, not "boomy," but not suitable for recording an ensemble any larger than 2 or 3 people, especially with omnis. They were miked in an X/Y pattern about 6 feet back from the low "stage" on which they played, about 8 feet above them in the center aisle. Given the shape of the room I thought that was a good call.

Well... that was probably more information than anyone but me gives a crap about! :)
    [/offtopic]