with all the tonebender talk these days...

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by re-animator, Jan 4, 2008.

1. re-animator

re-animator Senior Member

I sold my fulltone soulbender a while back (still kickin myself :jo) and i've really been missin that tone... soooooo versatile, and so good at nailing some of my favorite page tones, but I got rid of it because I felt like having 3 fuzzes in my rig would just be ridiculous :NUTS.

But I do currently have a fuzzface pedal in my rig (silicon), and as I recall, the tonebender circuit isn't quite different from a treble booster into a fuzzface circuit. I am currently without a treble booster (I get stupid when i sell pedals), but i've been jonesin to get one back in my setup to pair with my BoR.

Now what i'm wondering is to save pedalboard real-estate, would running a treble booster like say the analogman beano boost into my silicon fuzzface yield a tonebender-like snarl?? I know AM puts the treble booster after the fuzzface in his sunface circuit, but I think that's a different type of sound.

Any fuzz experts or treble booster + fuzzface users on the prowl??

2. re-animator

bump?? I think the first time I heard this was from Marc from skreddy talking about the skrewdriver (which i may end up just breaking down and buying)...

3. mr.blacksummer

mr.blacksummer Member

load the fuzz flavors on, buddy...no shame! ;)
    I run a zvex fuzz probe, fulltone 69', and soul-bender, AND a roger mayer octavia. 4 different flavors...4 fantastic boxes!

and yes...I have run treble boosters...or even just eq's or * the zvex super-duper* (also on my board) with a fuzz face circuit, and it does get pretty well tone-bender-ish. still kinda more bottomy though. and I always run the booster after the fuzz face....putting things before the fuzz face (besides a wha...ala JH) generally mucks things up...you never know though...test..test..test. good luck:hiP

4. jb1911

jb1911 Member

Lovepedal BBB07 will do the FF, MKII and treble booster and do it better than most single purpose pedals.

5. GuitarBrent

GuitarBrent Member

Ahh but you can't get the BBB07 anymore, unless Lovepedal releases it from the vault again...;)

6. gravy

gravy Member

+1 on the BBB07 !! . got mine on the emporium for christmas so still honeymooning but hellagoodness so far.

7. s.r.v.

s.r.v. Member

how good are you with a soldering iron? :D seriously, if you want to start pedal building its a great project

8. jb1911

jb1911 Member

As long as there's an ebay, you can get anything you want.

9. gaspedals.net

gaspedals.net Member

It may yield some interesting / usable tones but it wont sound like a tonebender. Mainly because the tonebender uses lower gain transistors - something people often don't realize when building one. Its the key to getting a good bender build because it will get overly noisy and lose clarity with ff values - Ive heard many that were mis-biased for the same reason. Of course there are several versions of the TB and even within one version I have seen some pretty big differences in hfe. Hope that helps. Peace-Jayson

10. re-animator

quite interesting... i'm a volume-knob whore too... so varying gain levels is sort of my bag. I'm trying to avoid adding another tonebender to my rig because other than having 3 fuzzes.... 6-7 dirt pedals is just ridiculous :)

11. blackjack davey

blackjack davey Senior Member

I tend to place an EQ after and Fuzz boxes and found that with some creative tweaking I can cover a wide variety of tones out of boxes that shouldn't be making them. For example, I can get my NYC Muff to come pretty close to my SoulBender and vice versa.