"With or Without You" tones?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by freak4liferu, Mar 19, 2008.

1. freak4liferu

freak4liferu Member

So, i'm sure this is packed in the middle of a thread somewhere, but i couldn't find it. What effect is the edge using to get the long sustaining notes at the beginning of With or Without You? To my ears, it's not an ebow, and you don't see him holding an ebow when playing it live, but he is holding something, and i've never known what that is... anyone? thanks.

2. blood5150

blood5150 Member

ebow....I have the "making of" dvd for the Joshua Tree....

3. todd richman

todd richman Senior Member

Isn't there "shimmer" tones on that track also-a combo of a very expensive AMS Delay and some reverb.

4. Mitch T

Mitch T Member

Definitely an ebow, you can see him using it on several shows. He has used a Fernandes guitar with sustainer-pickup on one or two tours, but doesn't do that anymore, he's back to the ebow. Maybe that's what you've seen? He's probably just holding the volume pot there to control the sustain as it's slightly prone to feedback.

5. threm

threm Member

You can ask Lanois directly at
    http://www.gearslutz.com/board/q-daniel-lanois/

Where you'll find a similar question

"Most of the time
    Hi Daniel.

Did you use an E-Bow to get the distortion on 'Most of the Time'? Its the first sound that comes up in the intro and is lingering in the background throughout the rest of the song. I have to say that is the most beautiful sounding guitar I have ever heard. Thanks.
    [​IMG]
    littledoodler

[​IMG] 17th March 2008, 09:58 PM #2 Daniel Lanois
    Gearslutz.com special guest

[​IMG]

I didn't use an ebow. I used a 1956 Les Paul Jr thru my Vox AC30 turned up all the way. Not the bright channel. The sustain that you hear is just what happened naturally. But I did have the rig in a walk-in pantry closet which I believe played a big factor in the sound."

Daniel Lanois
    http://redfloorrecords.com/HereIsWhatIs.htm

6. Mitch T

Mitch T Member

Never saw Edge go into a walk-in pantry closet on stage :D

7. nibus

nibus Supporting Member

Didn't edge use his infinite-sustain guitar on the album for this song? On the Milan DVD I think he uses this guitar instead of the ebow as well. I think he switches it up sometimes.

8. shallbe

shallbe Deputy Plankspanker Gold Supporting Member

On the record he used a Bond Electraglide composite guitar.

9. dahn8

dahn8 Member

I don't recall seeing him use an ebow for the song on U23D, which was during the vertigo tour. i'm thinking he still uses that infinite sustain guitar sometimes... i could be wrong though...

10. mild

mild Member

Fernandez Sustainer kit is what Edge uses, on a custom-built Fernandez guitar. You can approximate the sound very nicely with an ebow, though.

Re: the shimmer sound, you can get 95% of the way there with a Line 6 Verbzilla. Head over here to the line 6 site and listen to the "Octo" setting. Just add delay + ebow, viola... WOWY magic!

11. utterhack

utterhack Member

12. nibus

nibus Supporting Member