Without speakers, whats the diffence: super & pro reverbs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Carabinerx, Mar 10, 2015.

1. Carabinerx

Carabinerx Member

I see both of these popping up lately on CL, but I cant find a whole lot of details in relation to each other, other than the speakers, what difference is? I want a nice silverface fender for pedals, so lets say (for arguments sake) these were both heads -- what the characteristic differences?

2. Geetarpicker

Geetarpicker Member

Probably the biggest difference is the output transformer is noticeably bigger in the Super Reverb and it has a 2 ohm output. This larger iron here will net a little more solid low end and headroom. The Pro has the smaller output transformer, and it has a 4 ohm output which is a more typical impedance. Due to the 2 ohm output of the Super, it is a little trickier to match speakers to it. The tone stack is slightly different on the Super (just one cap that I'm pretty sure ups the midrange scoop frequency up a hair) and the Super has an actual mid knob. I think the power transformer has slightly higher current capability on the Super, and it has a bit more filtering. Both are great sounding, but the Pro will get dirty just a little quicker. Another good comparison is a Pro is more similar to a Vibrolux, where as the Super is beefed up a bit and has an added mid knob on the vibrato channel.

3. wetordry

wetordry Member

I have one of the least desirable(equals price) of them, an ultralinear super reverb @ 70 watts. Slightly different @ 4 ohms so obviously the year/circuitry is later. For an amp to run with pedals it's top shelf, excess of clean headroom and the tone stays relatively consistant from bedroom levels to katy bar the door.
    Running it clean, is nice as well. CLEAN.
    The handle on a super is useless on steps and just about everywhere else unless it's rolling or you're 7 feet tall, maybe the pro is better.

4. Carabinerx

Carabinerx Member

Ive got a line on a super reverb head, early 70s so no a back breaker or an ultalinear, but just dont know enough about the sound. More familiar with the Pro. And in reference to the post farther up, it has a Pro OT so it might have that dirty, 4 ohm goodness covered

5. Steve73

Steve73 Member

I've owned both and find the Super a bit stiffer and the Pro a bit softer in regards to feel, probably due to the factors listed above by others. I prefer Pro's, love my '67!