Wizard Amps, are they still around?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by LTE, May 18, 2006.

1. LTE

LTE Member

Started thinking about them today for some reason.

I remember when they first hit, Joe Perry was playing them alot. I checked their website and they are even advertising a signature Joe Perry Amp. But there's nothing else there as for as contact.

Are they still in business? If not, when did they go bust? Also, what was the price range and does anyone here own one?

2. rkstarr

rkstarr Member

5 gs for it...but worth it to me

3. Greazygeo

Greazygeo Member

I just got the Modern Classic (on the left) late last summer. Rick is still building amps periodically.....

[​IMG]

4. rkstarr

rkstarr Member

5. Greazygeo

Greazygeo Member

:dude

I do know a guy selling one...I had Rick mod mine alittle.

6. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

They're on the road a lot, so they only build when they have time and I have no idea how you'd get your name on the list to be the one they built for. Killer amps.

7. thegame

thegame Member

Whoa. Did you buy that amp directly from the company for that much? Did that price include a cab?
    I thought I paid alot for my Wizards thru the years! You've got me beat, LOL!

8. Braciola

Braciola Silver Supporting Member

I spoke with Rick a couple of weeks ago about building me a Metal.
    He said he only has Classic head shells right now, but could build me a Metal in a Classic head shell.
    He quoted me $3,800 for the 100 Watt ($500.00 extra for an effects loop). He wanted 50% up front ($1,900) to start the work, and said it should take him about 3 months to complete.

9. Roe

Roe Member

how does the modern classic compare to old marshalls (and newer clones like germino)? I suppose it does AC/DC very well.

10. SQUAREHEAD

SQUAREHEAD Supporting Member

I have a Wizard Metal 100 watter with KT66's and high gain Chinese 12AX7's and it sounds amazing!
    When I got the amp, I was impressed by the "Wizard tone", (I had been told many times by Gary Cigic how great these amps sound) but it was not until I looked inside the amp and realized the mismatch of hald dead Sovtek/Tesla 6L6's and weak, VERY WEAK Sovtek (crap) 12AX7's that were in it, I realized how great this thing "could" sound!
    I installed a matched quad of KT66's and high gain Chinese 12AX7's and it made a HUGE improvement!!
    Awesome amp! I don't think I have ever experienced a more "in your face" high gain, hard rock tone in any other amp.
    I own three Bogners, a 5150 at present and have owned Soldano SLO's over the years and many other amps.
    This thing has "that" tone in spades... string to string definition/clarity, huge wall of sound, tightness that I never thought possible, big fat tight bottom end etc.
    Awesome amp!
    I've haven't found anything that compares.
    Keith

11. thegame

thegame Member

Simply email the company and ask!

admin@wizardamplification.com

12. SQUAREHEAD

The Wizard "Vintage" line would be in the same ballpark as what you've described.
    The Metal and Modern Classic have MUCH more preamp gain.

Keith

13. thegame

thegame Member

Me neither! But don't you dare say so on HC. Yesterday I got completely crucified for stating that Wizards have better build quality than a certain German amp starting with "D".

14. SQUAREHEAD

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh Gary!!!
    I cannot get on HC here at work, Bro!
    I would have been right with ya!
    I will check that out tonight when I get home and put my reponse in black and white C L A R I T Y !!!
    HC is quickly becoming a total horse$hit forum...
    kw

15. thegame

thegame Member

Thanks! I think you'll be startled at the viciousness of the attack. In a nutshell I simply said "The "D" amps are of very very good build quality, but there are others that are even better! Thats it Literally! And I am labelled a "D" basher!

For some reason I can't cut and paste in these reply windows, but I was wondering if you could set me up with some of those Chinese 12Ax7s? I still have the original 10 year old GT 12Ax7s in my Modern. Also if you want to check out the Modern this Sat or Mon you are welcome to come over.

16. SQUAREHEAD

Yes, I can set you up with the 12AX7's Gary!
    You will hear a huge difference. Guaranteed!
    I will check about tomoro...How far are you from me?
    One hour?
    Can we try the amps at "low to medium" level volume? Or just whisper...?
    Keith

17. SQUAREHEAD

Some people over there have rocks in the head.
    No one in their right mind could possibly look inside a Wizard and not agree the build quality is better than a Diezel. Idiots!!!

kw

18. thegame

thegame Member

Well I'm a good 1 1/2 hrs from downtown T.O. so add the time from your place to T.O. At least 2 hrs I guess....

The amps would be played at low volume, above whisper but not too much.

19. Distortion

Distortion Member

Here is a shot of my 100 watt Wizard Modern Classic. It was built in 96 and I picked it up picked it up last year..
    The amp is in Mint condition..
    This particular Wizard has 6L6's with a line out and effects loop. Someday I am going to try it out with a quad of EL34's.
    I replaced all the preamp tubes with NOS Mullards.. I run it through my old 68 Marshall bottom cabinet loaded with Pre Rola G12H30's..

It sounds pretty good... :D

[​IMG]

20. thegame

thegame Member

Awesome! I actually prefer the 6L6 Wizards over their EL34 counterparts and yes I've had them both.

May I ask where and how much you got it for? PM me that if you'd prefer.

I highly recommend getting a high gain mod done to your amp, direct from Wizard themselves. I have it and it turned an already amazing amp into something UNBELIEVABLE!

BTW were the NOS Mullards that much better?