Wizard Amps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by 20forSeven, Sep 21, 2006.

1. 20forSeven

20forSeven Member

What makes the Wizard classic head any better than another marshall clone? Also where can I get a Wizard amp?

2. thegame

thegame Member

There's 2 or 3 for sale on this forum right now! Act fast!

3. 57special

57special Silver Supporting Member

The Wizard Classics AREN'T any better than a good Marshall clone, but remember , when they first came out in the early /mid 90's they wasn't all the competition such as Germino, Blockhead, etc..The rarity factor of these amps also plays into the "mojo". What i liked about them (i don't play Metal, or even hard rock, or loud big amps)was that you could plug into them and get a clear, balanced, clean tone (none of that murky Hi-gain clean channel bit) easily, then the amp morphs into a classic rock animal, then depending on your model, into somewhere else. Lots of growl.
    Is a Wizard Classic better than a Germino Club 40/55. etc.? Doubt it somehow, or if it is it's probably a slight difference. Certainly not worth twice the price to me . The "Rock" or "Metal" amps (names changed over the years) have more unique features and tones that deviate from the old vintage formula, and might be worth the big $$'s.

4. rkstarr

rkstarr Member

sound like..rather than close to it..ie germino..blockhead...the notes are definitely thicker with better natural sustain...i had my v/c combo fer sale..but only for financial reasons...its the bomb

5. thegame

thegame Member

If you did then your perspective would likely change.

6. 57special

right, now that's a good price for a very good amp. I just don't see how a Wizard Classic is worth twice what a Germino is. I've played a few Wizards, having lived in the Vancouver area (where they were made), and have been able to compare them to vintage Marshalls and Hiwatts. I'd rather have a really good plexi or DR for tone alone than a Wiz, but it's close. The Metal amp is the one that i liked best, but the models were always being tweaked and renamed, it seems, so one has yo go on an amp to amp basis.

7. 57special

Agreed, but I did grow up in the 60's and 70's when loud, big amps were the only way to be heard, so i'm not a stranger to volume and aggression. All we could afford were Traynors, but a dimed non master Traynor is LOUD.

8. GAT

GAT Gold Supporting Member

The Modern Classic is much different than the Vintage Classic. It has the VC plus a very rich, gainy lead channel. Reminds me of a much better Silver Jubilee (yes I've owned those too).

9. wheelman

wheelman Member

The metal has the best gain i've ever heard in my life. So natural souding much like powertube distortion at bedroom levels. What's crazy is you can get one cheeper than a Diezel. Far more collectable to boot!:BEER

10. SQUAREHEAD

SQUAREHEAD Supporting Member

I agree, the Wizard high gain models have the best, "purest" gain I've ever experienced.

keith

11. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

I was amazed to find that my 100w Vintage Classic sounded exactly like my 1971 SLP, including the same amount of hiss and hum :). The Modern Classic was a much more interesting animal, with kind of cascading gain stages ala the Park Rock Head of the late 70s. It came down to how much I wanted tied up in 100w amps, and when I landed the Park for significantly less than I could sell the Wizard for, out the door it went. I was a bit put off by the side style grab handles. No way you could carry that amp with one hand and the cab with the other.

12. enharmonic

enharmonic Old Growth Gold Supporting Member

I can...easily. :confused:

13. 6AM

6AM Supporting Member

I don't know about that. The Metal I played sounded very blah at lower volumes. I was unimpressed until I cranked it. When I did, it roared. :dude

14. wheelman

wheelman Member

I love the metal at low volumes, but I do like it better cranked up. I think alot of them had different mods ( features) done to them.

15. hdiddy

hdiddy Supporting Member

Are the 2 inputs/Channels that different? Are they more like a Marshall where one is bassy and the other trebly

16. Notes

Notes Member

I think the Kasha Rockmod 50 does the Marshall thing really well and goes beyond.

17. BradS71

BradS71 Supporting Member

+1 on the new Kasha Rockmod head. Amazing...even barely turned up in a 10x10 booth with the NAMM noise police lurking, it screamed... :dude

18. yZe

yZe Senior Member

Tampa, on the Territory of Florida (D.C. Free Zone
    Are Wizards P2P or PCB?

19. Greazygeo

Greazygeo Member

They are point to point.