Wizard / Germino / Plexi question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by gpants, May 5, 2008.

1. gpants

gpants Member

I played a friend's EL34 Wizard Vintage Classic the other day and damn if that isn't the exact clean tone i've been looking for all along (after going through a zillion other amps). That is the first 100watt plexi style amp I've played so I don't know how much of it was the WizardNESS of it or the 100wattNESS. I play a les paul and loved that it stayed pretty clean even when I would hit the low notes on the neck pickup. It squished some and got a little hairy and midrangey but retained all of it's hugeness and clarity. And damn if all my distortion pedals didn't sound a thousand times better through it than any other amp.

So my QUESTION...does anyone know what style plexi the vintage classic is modeled after and what other amps would do that same thing? Is it more of the Fillmore/Headroom/Superlead/Superbass style amp like Germino offers? 1967 or 1968 style like Metropoulos offers?

Last, does anyone know of a 100 watt plexi style amp that has london power scaling available? I asked Reinhardt and he said he might be able to do it for an upcharge but he would have to figure out how to install a fan. Also, I have no way to try a Reinhardt v100 in Los Angeles so I don't know if that is gonna be the sound I want.

2. HeeHaw

HeeHaw Member

I've played Bob's V100. Good God it is a leviathon as far as how much low end girth it has. Cranked up it would clear a room. I opted for the non-powerscaled V50 and it's still pretty loud. I use a minimal amount of THD attenuation and am well pleased with it.

3. gretsch58

gretsch58 Member

GERMINO HEADROOM 100™
    The Headroom 100 specifically emulates the sound and construction of the very early 68 100 watt plexi panel Super Lead and Super Bass amplifiers to exact detail! From the very first glance of the zinc plated steel chassis and plexi panels to the perforated tag board assembly the workmanship and attention to detail is simply stunning. The early Super Lead's from 68 were the first to use a circuit specifically voiced for “lead” guitar with split cathode pre-amp, specific values in the tone section and output stage as well as a brite cap for an “automatic brightening” of the amp at low volume. The Headroom 100 is available with either a “Super Lead” circuit for the ultimate in singing sustain or, Super Bass circuit values for those wanting a cleaner amp with a more rounded tone.

GERMINO FILLMORE 100 ™
    Lets roll back in time to 1967. It's early in that year that Marshall made the switch from KT-66 tubes to EL-34's with new transformers for this tube type. These are the second series Drake transformers made. 1203-80 power, 1202-119 output with no 4 ohm tap and 1202-132 with a tap for 4 ohms. Unique to these new models was a reverse typeset JTM lettering on the front panel which is affectionately know today as “Black Flag”. Later models would simply say JTM-100. Unique was a dual bridge rectifier being fed from two individual high voltage AC secondary windings of the power transformer. All of these early amps used a Bass circuit derived from the JTM-45. Steel chassis made their debut in early in 67 as well.

4. riverastoasters

riverastoasters Member

I'm sure that can be done, but I'm utterly happy with the master volume on my Bray modded plexi 1959SLP reissue. That amp is great. Tastes vary, but if you are clear with Dave what you want, I expect you will get something very satisfactory. And that master volume is an unreal trip. Best I've ever come across.

5. riverastoasters

riverastoasters Member

I got one of them too. It's huge sounding. If you want a gigantic round beefy sound that is a good choice.

Louis Electric also makes plexi styles. I played one he was making for Hubert Sumlin which was really interesting. Lou didn't quite love the sound yet but I would have left it the way I heard it. I think Lou always wants to change something about every amp he's built.

I've never heard power scaling in either of those. Once I got the Bray I have no need to modify any of my Marshall style amps for lower volume.

6. photios

photios Member

I've owned my fair share of Wizards (still own 2) and been thru a ton of different boutique plexi's. IMO, the VC is closer to a HIWATT in tone than a plexi (but ultimately the only thing that sounds and feels like a Wizard is a Wizard).

7. gpants

gpants Member

photios or anyone else-is the clean channel of the wizard modern classic the same as the vintage classic or are they different beasts?

8. photios

photios Member

Different...quite different and its the reason I didnt bother keeping my MC. The VC pummels the MC for low gain and mid gain crunch. The MC, in a side by side comparison comes up sounding thin and weak. The VC has way more harmonic content and complexity...think of a low gain Komet or Trainwreck...just absolutely bad-ass.

The only reason to get the MC is if you need a true clean (not a plexi clean with a bit of hair and snap on it) and you need high gain tones (like heavy metal) and lead tones.

Personally, I think the VC is a bargain...they sell used for $2K and with a nice pedal you can get the high gain/lead tones of the MC and you get way better low gain crunch tones...plus I personally prefer the plexi clean tone vs. the true clean of say a Fender.

When I popped my MC open to look at the guts, the innards of the clean channel share some similarities with a Fender circuit. On the VC the circuit is very akin to a Marshall plexi...but the component values and the component selection make it sound more like a HIWATT.

Bottom line: the VC has serious mojo with low gain and mid gain crunch stuff (think Malcolm Young...in fact he uses a VC...the Young brothers helped design the VC). The MC has serious mojo with high gain and lead tones...it has a true clean channel, but its nothing special IMO.

I think people gravitate towards the MC becuase they want an amp that channel switches thinking that it offers more flexibility...but that simply isnt true. The VC with a simple router (like the LEHLE Dual Loop) has more "channels" and tonal flexibility than the MC.

I'd say if you're predominately looking for high gain tones, go MC...if you're into low and mid gain stuff grab up a the VC...they're both special amps that are king in their respective categories...want low and high gain stuff, get one of each with a Switchblade router and have it all.

9. Ironman

Ironman Member

I sold my Wizard MC too. The clean was too clean, kinda steely sounding. I prefer a vintagey semi-clean crunch tone too. The lead channel had a great searing OD tone, more gain than I ever use though. I should have gone with the VC.

10. Greazygeo

Greazygeo Member

Have you tried slaving into another amps power section?

11. Greazygeo

Greazygeo Member

Yes that is the correct method. If you have a Hotplate its worth a try, just set it to load. One thing to remember with the Hotplate is that the bright and bass boost knobs work backwards for some reason this way. Depending on what amps power section you are using the prescence and depth may still work.

With slaving you can run the amp really hard and get the volume alot lower. When I ran my old Marshalls, I slaved them always and had great results....it is more stuff to carry though.

12. Greazygeo

Greazygeo Member

Do any of those have a load setting? I only have the HP and an old Rocktron Juice Extractor ( that was my main one). I had an Airbrake for awhile but didnt like it....if any of yours have a load setting, I'd give it a try.