Wizard Modern Classic 100 watter in da howse!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Fretmaster, Jun 24, 2006.

1. Fretmaster

Fretmaster Member

I will fill in much more detail and description when I finally get my jaw off the floor and am able to formulate a clear thought.:crazy But I just had to vent some of the early excitement tonight before turing in. A fantastic fellow TGPer was kind enough to hand deliver this baby to me this evening so I could have it for the start of a recording project I'm involved in that starts tomorrow. I had a chance to plug in and ended up spending nearly 2 full hours playing through her tonight. All I can or will say at this point is that this truly is the kind the stuff legends come from. I won't start blurting a thousand difference adjective or even try to sumarize the amp at this point because I am only scratching the surface of this beast and I'm just too stoked to say anothing without sounding like a sales person for Wizard!!:jo But I will say to anyone who ever thought you may want to own a Wizard but could not find one or was scared off by the price or to anyone who is looking for one of the truly rare "holy grails" of plexidome you NEED to play a Wizard Modern Classic! Holy crap what a tonal monster!:eek: Thanks a million for the killer amp Rob!!:BEER Now I'm going to have a tonally blissful night's sleep. Nighty night.....;)

Steve
    [​IMG]

2. GAT

GAT Gold Supporting Member

Steve,

Is the tone "modern" or more classic? I don't like the trebly rock n roll tones of the shredders, but more like the fat Joe Bonammasa, Jimmy Herring tones. I may order a 50 or 100 watter. Is the 100 watter controllable? What are your thoughts?

3. rkstarr

rkstarr Member

4. Fretmaster

Fretmaster Member

Very controllable but I think the 50 watter would be more than enough if you dig 50 watters. The tone of the amp even when running the boosted lead channel is still very vintage or classic NOT modern or metal type tone at all. In fact even with the gain dimed the it's still not a super saturated overdirve. You can still play, hear and feel every single note. Very little compression going on anwhere with this baby! BTW...the rhythm channel of this amp IS the Wizard Vintage Classic and IS non-master!! The lead channel is hot rodded, vintage Marshall tones and has a master. How cool is that!?!?!? Literally the best of both worlds! Joe Bonamassa uses JCM800's. This amp is voiced in the SLP realm. I'm not saying the Modern Classic can't do Joe B's tone as I haven't had near enough time with it to say. Both channels on the Modern Classic have switchable boosts that I haven't even switched on yet. I feel pretty confident I will be able to dial in the Bonamassa tone with the boost on the lead channel fairly easily. This is truly a vintage Marshall lover's dream amp.

5. Fretmaster

Fretmaster Member

:confused:

comments like this always kinda strike me funny. A quick glimpse as the controls and you think you know what this amp is all about.:rolleyes: It so happens that I was running through a plethora of playing styles last night getting a feel for the amp and at around 11:00pm was given notice by the Mrs. that is was time to QUIET DOWN!! So I took the opportunity to see how hot I could get while turing down as far as possible and still get a good useable tone. That is the last thing I did and the settings you see on the amp in the pic. The cool thing is it sounds breath taking a gig volumes and was still able to sound awesome AND musical at volumes that allowed me to continue playing after the wife's complaints! So yes...... your right!! This is a great amp!:dude

6. Distortion

Distortion Flame Maple Maniac Silver Supporting Member

Fretmaster, you are 100% correct.. The Modern Classic is an amazing amp..
    Have you seen the insides yet? They are built like Tanks..

What is the serial # of yours? Mine was built in 96..

7. Fretmaster

Fretmaster Member

Mine's #345. I thinks Rick did this one within the last year or so. Man am I impressed by the tones that amp can put out. And DUDE!! That headshell of yours is INSANELY GORGEOUS!!!!!

8. Distortion

Distortion Flame Maple Maniac Silver Supporting Member

Thanks, the cabinet did turn out great..

I was just noticing your amp has two inputs.. Mine only has one.. It makes me wonder when Rick changed.. or if it was an option somewhere down the line..
    Enjoy the amp. :)

9. rkstarr

rkstarr Member

a 65..and a vintage calssic combo...so im kinda a jealous since i dont have a modern classic......yet:cool:

10. Fretmaster

Fretmaster Member

Sorry for the misunderstanding. My bad.:jo Two Wizard?!!?:eek: Lucky dog you! And tried to talk me outta my Mako too!:nono

:D

11. GAT

GAT Gold Supporting Member

I sent Rick an email last night. I think I'll get on the list for a Modern Classic. Most of my amps are 100 watters, not sure how the 50 would sound, if it would lose some of the "bigness" so I may just go with the 100 since it sounds like the master is good. Thanks guys!:AOK

12. Fretmaster

Fretmaster Member

If you've been using 100 watters the Modern Classic 100 watter will be no problem. Even the non-master channel (Vintage Classic) is still very manageable. You will LOVE this amp!!

13. rkstarr

rkstarr Member

14. enharmonic

enharmonic Old Growth Gold Supporting Member

I already miss it, Steve :(. I had to make room for a very special Harry Joyce though, and also pay down some medical bills. It sounds like you already love it as much as I do/did/always will :rotflmao

BTW, Steve is one of the good ones, a great guy to do a deal with...not to mention that I'm completely jealous of the beauty he's surrounded by out there in western MD!

All of the people I've ever done Wizard business with have been top notch. That includes "Greazygeo" and "the game" right here on TGP.

I'd wish you good luck with your sessions today, but with that amp, you won't need it. :BEER

Distortion, it has a "hi" and "low" input. The "hi" input is a touch brighter, and IMO, even more toward the Hiwatt side of things. I used and preferred the low input, which gives the sounds that Steve has just described above very accurately. :)

15. gooma

gooma Member

Congrats on an awesome amp Steve :AOK

I`ve been eyeing off the Modern Classic for a year or so now, man i`d love to own one of those. So it sounds nice at lower volumes as well?? wonder how it sounds running through a hotplate??

Thanks for the kewl review also.

Brad

16. 57special

57special Silver Supporting Member

The Wizard Metal is not to be ignored, either. It doesn't sound very metally, to me, just like it has more Hiwatt then Marshall in the mix, resulting in a leaner sound that has TONS of definition and presence, yet still has a gravelly voice that makes one want to bash power cords all day. Cleans are very , very good, if a bit dry.
    I preferred the Metal to the Modern Classic (and my tastes are decidely vintage), but that could've been due to the acompanying 2x12 Wizard bottom, which i thought sounded choked and constricted in the mids. Also, the Metal was a 100 watter, while the MC was only a fifty.

17. kruts

kruts Member

Hey Fretmaster,

If you -had- a choice between buying one of the following, which one would you go for, specifically for classic Van Halen tones:

1) Makoplex
    2) Mojave peacemaker
    3) Wizard Modern Classic 100 W

I haven't had a chance to hear any of these... I've owned a Bogner XTC in the past, like it but was a little dark. I have been considering a peacemaker, but in light of your review on the Wizard, I'm considering that avenue now...

By the way, how much is Rick selling the wizard moderns for new - does anyone know?

Thanks in advance,
    Kurt

18. sinner

sinner Member

Fretmaster--congrats! mind saying how the Wizard feels compared to your Peacemaker? Are they way different, you know? Thanks.

19. thegame

thegame Member

When you activate the boost on the lead channel, you will simply die:dude
    I don't know if this amp has the same circuit as mine, but I had Rick install a gain boost mod (as well as a tube buffered effects loop) on my Modern last year, and it smokes! I never turn it off (the gain boost). Mine is activated by the lead master control (pullout).

Its funny, your Wizard and Mako are EL34s and my Wizard and Mako are 6L6:)

Also +1000 on the fact that this amp has an AMAZING master volume design. It feels very alive even at literally whisper volume levels; just turn down the presence.

If you have any Wizard questions, PM me as I've had quite a few Wizards over the years.

20. enharmonic

enharmonic Old Growth Gold Supporting Member

Wizards do not like attenuators...not even a little bit.