Wizard Modern Classic (Initial impressions and clips)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Greazygeo, Aug 27, 2005.

1. Greazygeo

Greazygeo Member

Ive had the amp for about a week now and tonite will be the first gig. This is the 100 watt, EL34 version with the optional tube buffered effects loop. Pretty basic layout: Pres, bass, mid, treb, Lead vol, Lead gain and rhythm vol (pull boost). The back panel has fx loop send and return levels and 8/16 ohm output jacks (no impedance selector)

[​IMG]

The Rhythm channel really surprised me! It has lots of headroom with a clear warm and full tone. Great for funk/ R+B stuff. There is a boost on this channel. When it is engaged and using the bridge pickup, it is dead on early AC/DC crunch tone. Very versatile! The Metal's rhythm is more of a JC120 / Plexi vibe, while the MC's is more of a traditional "clean channel" unless the boost is on.

The Gain channel is everything i had hoped it would be. Articulate and defined on chords and low notes, tight bass with incredible punch, lots of midrange and smooth highs . It has more sag and a darker voice than the Metal. Alittle more vintage voiced than the metal too. I had Rick make the preamp hotter than stock.

Overall the Metal is tighter and voiced brighter, with the MC having a more vintage vibe.

Here are a few clips I made last weekend.

basically gtr--amp--hotplate--GB loaded 4-12---57

Modern Classic Clip

Here is a clip with the Metal on one side and the MC on the other...same cab / micing on both amps.

Mixed clip

george

2. Roe

Roe Member

sounds great. please post a ac/dc-style clip!

3. tubez

tubez Suspended

Sounds as brown as you could ask for! I hear more VH then AC/DC which is a good thing. No wonder those amps cost what they do..... Simply amazing sound.

4. enharmonic

enharmonic Old Growth Gold Supporting Member

The Modern Classic...nuff said!

:dude

Great clips bro. I'm never parting with my Modern Classic half stack. Thsi clip is but one of the many reasons why.

5. Distortion

Distortion Member

George,

Did you buy the Modern Classic new or used? If it was new how long was the wait?

Also, how did you and the amp get along on the gig... :)

6. Greazygeo

Greazygeo Member

thanks! I'll try to put something together this weekend.

George

7. Greazygeo

Greazygeo Member

Yep its a cool amp...pretty versatile overall.

8. Greazygeo

Greazygeo Member

Thanks! Didnt you get yours not long ago? Do you have the matching cab too?

George

9. Greazygeo

Greazygeo Member

It is new and was about a 2-3 month wait. Rick was working on my Metal 100 and I was asking about getting a Modern. I asked him to keep me in mind when he did another one. About a month after getting my Metal back, he emailed me and said he had one almost done if I wanted it. I told him to slap a loop in it and I'd take it.

The gig went pretty well. Still need some more gig time with it, its different than the Metal. The amp is loud even with a Hotplate! I'll keep you posted after a few more gigs...

George

10. enharmonic

enharmonic Old Growth Gold Supporting Member

George, I do indeed have a matching 4x12. I'm thinking of swapping out the greenbacks for some man-o-war's though...nothing "wrong" with the way it sounds now, but I need more definition from my cab. I know it's in the Wizard, because I used to have mine paired up to a Harry Joyce 4x12...which was beyond sick.

Wish I could afford to drop 4 Scholz speakers into the Wizard cab, but I'm still recovering from my recording rig purchase :)

11. Greazygeo

Greazygeo Member

You probably have the straight front (old Marshall Style cab)? Ive heard those are really warm sounding. Mine is the V-front style cab. It was unloaded when I got it, so I put in the GB's from my 68 Marshall cab (they have the bass cones). It sounds really good. The 2-12 I'm still thinking of what to do with it. 2 GB's with the MC100 will most likely toast em :eek:

What are Scholz speakers? Never heard of them....

with a new recording rig that means one thing.....

CLIPS :dude

:)

George

12. aroman

aroman Member

Schenker !!!! :dude