Wizard "Plexi" Amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by John55, Jan 23, 2008.

1. John55

John55 Member

Just found one of these for sale. Made in 1996, looks basically like a 4 hole Marshall SL. Are these made to sound like a "real" plexi from the mid to late 60s, or are they more like the later metal panel amps from the early 70s? I assume the build quality if very good, given the price these amps bring, but are they THAT much better than a Germino or Metro?

2. sinasl1

sinasl1 Member

I usaed a couple extensively in the mid 90's to do an album... they sounded just awesome. It's been awhile though... but I'd say it's a no-brainer. Rick's amps are great.

3. markschuler

markschuler Member

Ricks (Wizard) Vintage Classics are updated Plexis; they are made using state of the art transformers and bullet proof manufacturing. He has stated many times that he became tired of rebuilding and modding old Marshalls while working he day job, so he began Wizard. He is a first class guy who has been a guitar tech/roadie for AC/DC, ZZ Top, Aerosmith, etc..
    From the website....
    • [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]WIZARD AMPLIFICATION Inc. is a Canadian company dedicated to the design and manufacturing of high-end tube amplifiers and speaker cabinets. [/FONT]​
    • [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Construction consist of military type turret boards, true point to point soldering, premium capacitors and metal film resistors for stability and tolerance. [/FONT]
    • [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Fully welded and polished 14 gauge nickel and brass plated steel chassis support high quality custom built transformers. [/FONT]
    • [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Lexan control panels dress these amplifiers and high grade potentiometers control them. Heavy duty sockets are fitted with matched sets of high grade tubes. [/FONT]
    • [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Hand wired to military specifications and zero compromise in construction assures ultimate reliability in the studio and on the road. [/FONT]
    • [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]All cabinets are of 100% Baltic birch in construction. Recessed steel handles, high quality speaker mounting hardware, aluminum jack plates with Switchcraft jacks, and high grade Tolex covering add to the combined class and ruggedness of all Wizard cabinetry.[/FONT]
    Mark

PS Was that an endorsement from Pete?? That guy on Ebay has a nice amp, but I would have walked away with the $3650 bid he had. The amps can be had new with updated transformers for $4200. I could be talked out of my combo for $2000 if you are interested.

4. markschuler

markschuler Member

5. Roe

Roe Member

the metro and germino have different layout, trannies, resistors etc

6. John55

John55 Member

markschuler,
    Thanks for the offer to sell your combo, but I would prefer a head only. I've read their copy and agree they are very well built but what I would like to know is how they are voiced? Are they like a real mid '60s plexi, which means they have a flat frequency response and not much gain...or like a later version that has a much more aggressive tone, loaded with treble and lots of gain?

7. markschuler

markschuler Member

Frankly, I have not compared those two eras of Plexis well enough to comment, but I will say it does not have alot of gain.

Mark

PS Others on the board here will chime in hopefully.

8. bengerrob

bengerrob Member

hi can you send me a pic of the metal and can the vintage classic be modded or boosted to sound like the modern or metal in regards
    to gain and saturation

rob

9. rkstarr

rkstarr Member

absolutely my v/c classic with a hbe power screamer has the best scorpions tone ive ever heard ..so uncompressed..

i would say its the most toneful amp of all amps...as its plexi cleans are thick as well
    on par with blockhead or slightly warmer