Wizard Vintage Classic for a Pedal amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by axelfoley, Feb 27, 2015.

1. axelfoley

axelfoley Supporting Member

Very close to pulling the trigger on a VC 50 water with master volume. I have read all I can find to read. No one really gets into the amps ability to be run as a pedal platform.

I like single channel amps. What I do is use all pedals live, couple of dirts into a dd7 and a cry baby, and utilize the amps dirt when recording. It makes for a super fast set up and break down at gigs and I tend to get more consistent tone that way.
    I have recently been using a Matchless Clubman which is great for this. My previous amps were the Anniversary Shiva and XTC 101b. Both of those amps also excelled for my uses especially the blue channel of the 101b in poleax mode.

As much as I love my Clubman I am missing some of the attack of the Bogners. I was looking for another XTC but the Wizard caught my attention.

Will it react in a similar way as the plexi mode on the XTC? I'm not looking for that exact tone but a similar feel.

How is the noise floor?

Last edited: Feb 27, 2015
  2. bbaug14

bbaug14 Supporting Member

Noise floor is fine. Response should be similar to the Plex mode on the XTC but the Wizard will have a ton more balls. Its very much like a Plexi, but better. If you are getting a master volume, I'd get the 100W over the 50W. More clean headroom to allow for really dialing in the platform you want to use for pedals. Plus, you can always just pull 2 tubes for 50W.

3. axelfoley

Thanks! It's a used amp so the 100 watter isn't an option. I don't even get to open up my clubman so I can't imagine when I'd need 100 watts.

4. axelfoley

5. goddot

goddot Supporting Member

That 50 watter will eclipse a 100 watt ecstasy in every way, tone, punch and push back, glass etc... and it works great with pedals. Its the real thing.

6. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

I've played the 50w Classic back to back with a 100w 73 Marshall, and in terms of how hard it hits, it's right there. It'd be a killer pedal platform, just plug into the low input...

7. axelfoley

Thanks guys, I think I'm going to pull the trigger.

8. bbaug14

You're making the right choice.

9. axelfoley

Anyone else care to chime in?
    Thanks!

10. BADHAK

BADHAK Member

If the Wizard is anywhere near as good as my 2203s, (reviews are great) you will play one chord and sell your pedals (although a boost is a great option. ..hehe)

11. axelfoley

It's done. Wizard en route. Seller sent me some clips. I think it's going to kill.

12. bbaug14

Mind posting those clips? I dont have a VC. I'm curious to hear the difference. Thanks.

13. axelfoley

Ill ask him if he minds. I can make some when it gets here. Actually was planning on doing a demo since there isn't much out there.