Wizard vs. Govner

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by JPW, Sep 18, 2006.

1. JPW

JPW Member

hello all. I was just wondering about the comparisons between the two. So far I have gathered that they are both great speakers. I'm going to be getting a Mojo oversized slant 2x12 shortly and I allready have a brand new wizard waiting to go in it, but need to get another speaker. I was wondering If I should get a Govner to go with it or another Wizard. I have heard that the Wizard has alot of highs. Can they be EQ'd out easily?
    Do any of you have any 2x12's or 4x12's with all Wizards. Thanks for the input.

2. Guinness Lad

Guinness Lad Silver Supporting Member

The two speakers are complimentary, think Celestion V30 and G12H30(Anniversary). The Governor supplies the midrange and the Wizard has a little more low end and an extended high end. In a cabinet together the Wizard will be slightly louder. It's a good combo but it really depends on the amp. You can dial out the highs some what but right now now the combo I'm using in my 2x12 is a Governor and a Texas Heat. I might try 2 Governors but I'm in no hurry. My Guytron just doesn't seem to like Wizards too well but the Wizard sounded great in the Peavey C30 so go figure.

3. Boogs

Boogs Member

I've found the Wizards easy to work with using different amps. The high end is prominent, but it's also a nice, complex high end, and the low end is thunderous. I used one with a more middy Cannabis Rex and really liked them together. The Rex is rated at the same efficiency as the Governor, and I wasn't finding the (1db louder and brighter) Wizard overpowering it at all.

4. Jimmydeez

Jimmydeez Supporting Member

Boogs have you compared the Wizard to the Cannabis Rex or the Red, White, and Blues.

I hear they are great with the Fuchs ODS which I have but I want to make sure it would be nice with my Dr. Z 6545 which has a more vintage marshall vibe going on.

5. sosomething

sosomething Member

I have a Splawn 4x12 cab that came stock with Wizards and Governers in an X pattern (per Scott's recommendation). They are very complimentary speakers.

Harryjmic and Boogs have it right - the Governer is similar to a V30 and has a big peak in midrange, and the Wizard is like the Celestion 75 watt and is a bit more "scooped" sounding with crisp (but not brittle) highs and tight, powerful bass.

6. RGB

RGB Supporting Member

I just loaded two 1x12's with this combo and it rocks! I put the Wizard in a closed back, ported cab and the C Rex in an open back cab. The Wizard is driven with a Fuchs Lucky 7, while the C Rex is driven with a Ghia, in a wet/dry setup. Huge tones in a nice low volume, compact rig!

.....many thanks for the excellent trade, Boogs!

7. Erik

Erik Member

I thought the Splawn's came with Governer/Man-O-War combos in them.

8. sosomething

sosomething Member

You know what - they do. My mistake. The Man-O-Wars are indeed the 75 watters.

9. Seegs

Seegs Member

I've used the Wizard and Governor together in a two amp setup...huge tone...

I've also used the Wizard and the RW&B together in the same two amp setup and it was very nice but there was a bit of overlap in the high end...the W/G setup was more complimentary and sounded bigger...

Chow,
    Seegs

10. Boogs

Boogs Member

Hey man, sorry I spaced on this thread! I've compared the Wizard to the Cannabis Rex, most recently with a 6L6 powered Carvin X100b head. Don't have comparable amps, unfortunately (probably for me ;)).

Anyways, they are night/day different, except in that they both have a low-end chunk thing going on (the Wizard being a bit tighter). The Rex emphasizes the mids evenly and smoothly, whereas the Wizard has more upper-mids and more punch. The Wizard has more bite, and more prominent and complex highs. The Rex is smoother up top, but with a nice open high end. In overdrive, the Wizard cuts more...like a battleaxe more than a knife due to the low end. ;) The Rex is butter-smooth in overdrive.

Hope that helps. :)

11. Boogs

Boogs Member

Awesome! :dude

Glad that worked out for you! My X100b is LOVING the 2 X Cannabis Rex cab and the 16 ohm impedances make the cab work for everything I have, so I'm really happy with the trade too. I will have to get something going with a Wizard though, it's one of my favorite speakers...I'll be kind of starting over, but it will be a good excuse to buy a new amp!

Nice dealing with you, bro. Well, except that I miss my old cab...:crazyguy:messedup;)

12. JPW

JPW Member

Wich one do you mike when you play out? That is my only problem. the people won't here what you here if you use your amp for a
    monitor. Does anybody use just wizards in a 2x12 or 4x12?