Wizard Wah - Disappointed, does yours sound like this?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by EchoGecko, Dec 27, 2005.

1. EchoGecko

EchoGecko Member

Just got an RMC Wizard Wah for Christmas and had great expectations based on its many, many positive reviews. I personally am disappointed and don't think it sounds very good at all, so I wonder if mine may be defective. Those of you who own one, tell me if yours sounds similar to the way I'm trying to describe mine. I know it's hard to describe sound, but I'll do my best (I may have a chance to post a clip later).

1) First off, just want to make sure I'm not the only one whose circuit board is completely covered in red paint. I'm thinking this is so someone else can't steal his design since wahs are pretty simple to build...but I would think it would make it hard to work on if there was a problem.

2) High end - there is none...well, hardly. Between my original signal and when the WW is engaged and left in the toe position, there is only a TAD of treble added...barely noticeable. It basically sound like my original signal with all the lows sucked out. I wasn't looking for ear-piercing high end, but I was hoping for a nice bite...not there at all.

3) Low end - massive and nearly undefinable. I would think in a mix the guitar would get completely lost when the pedal was rocked back...I think it sound awful...really hard to describe though. It just has a really weird tone to it.

4) Taper - SUDDEN! In the toe position, there is little difference in tone when slowly rocking back until you hit this point where all the treble is suddenly sucked out. It's not far from the toe position...when you hit the "spot", there is lots of room left to travel the rest of the way down to the heel position. It's not a smooth transition by any means. If you sustain a single note and rock the pedal back and forth relatively quickly, when it hits the "spot", it sounds almost percussive. I was expecting a very smooth taper.

5) Clean tones - I can't even talk about this. Sound simply awful IMO.

Man, I don't mean to be complaining, but after reading all the reviews on this board about the pedal, I'm really disappointed. And YES, I was looking for a more modern-sounding wah, so I was not expecting a Vox or anything like that. When I think modern wah tone, I think Petrucci (Home, Voices solo, etc), and the WW just sounds lumpy and weird to my ears. But if what I'm describing sounds like the WW you have, then by all means, each unto his own and this simply must not be the wah for me. I liked the way my Dunlop 535Q sounded much better than this one...key word is sounded. That pedal is a hunk of junk when talking build quality.

2. agentcooper2001

agentcooper2001 Member

my experience exactly. I hated the Wizard Wah I had a few years ago and switched to the RMC-2. Much better wah, IMO. 5 different settings, so you can get quite a few different sounds.

3. MuseCafeChris

MuseCafeChris Senior Member

I'll echo points 4 & 5. I'm sticking with my Morley Bad Horsie 2. That pedal just does it for me.

4. turtleheadblues

turtleheadblues Senior Member

Ive been gigging with a Morley Mark 1 wah all year and love everything about it. Just cant get into the click wahs anymore.

5. jonny guitar

jonny guitar Member

Wow, that review makes me really glad I bought the Picture Wah....my reivew of it would be the exact opposite of yours.

6. EchoGecko

EchoGecko Member

"It" being the Picture Wah?

7. John_M

John_M Supporting Member

IIRC, the WW is targeted for high gain tones. Hence why you hate it clean.

FWIW, I think GRT has the best customer service out there and does a great job. Dedicated to quality, and his customers.

I owned the PW, RMC3, RMC2, WW, and the RMC3LE all at different times. I just did not gel with any of them. I guess GRT and I just have different tastes in wah sounds. Every one of his wahs had a midrange growl/crunch that I could not dial out. Finally bought a standard Fulltone Clyde and have not had a problem. The Clyde is more "polite" and better for cleans/funky stuff where I spend most of my wah time. Just fits me better.

8. EchoGecko

EchoGecko Member

I've heard plenty of people around here say it's great for ALL types of things, even clean tones. BTW, I think mine pretty much sucks for high-gain tones as well, which is why I am HOPING something is wrong with it. I hope to post clips by tomorrow...I'll email a clip to GRT to see what he thinks.

9. jonny guitar

jonny guitar Member

Yes.

10. John_M

John_M Supporting Member

The other thing you could do, since it has too much lows and not enough highs, is set the treadle ahead a click on the pot. To do this, open her up, loosen the white plastic loop that holds the black "teeth" that turn the pot, move the teeth back one notch on the pot (or to taste, but IME, one notch makes a big difference) - by "back" I mean towards the heel position. Tighten up and try it out. This will make "toe down" a bit more treble and "heel down" less bass.

11. WailinGuy

WailinGuy Member

I was going to suggest the same thing. You might even need to adjust it two or three clicks to get the sweep range to the right place. Definitely try doing this adjustment before passing judgement on your new wah pedal. You might find that you love it, once it's set up correctly!!

12. pfrischmann

pfrischmann Member

I tried a bunch of wah's RMC, Budda etc....I found the fulltone to be the best all around.

13. jonny guitar

jonny guitar Member

This is an excellent point. When I bought my picture wah, I plugged it in expecting great things and I actually thought it was busted because it sounded so bad. I diddled the treadle up to full treble and it sounds great. I got it at a great price and I believe that the seller thought he was selling a broken pedal and discounting accordingly.

14. EchoGecko

EchoGecko Member

Thanks for the advice. I may set the pot ahead a few clicks to see what that does, but IMO, when something is touted to be hand-built by the guy who designs it, it should be set up correctly to begin with. Not that he isn't a busy guy, but he's gotta test these things out before he sends them. The other factor is that tone is, of course, subjective, and me hating the sound of this wah on one hand may be Geoffrey's idea of wah heaven. However, I think I can be objective enough to say, "Yeah, this might sound good to someone else but it just ain't my thing." I hate it when I hear crap where people bash, for example, preamp gain (vs. a cranked plexi), etc, while I can sit back and hear good things about both, regardless of MY preference. All that to say that this pedal sounds so awful that I don't think anyone could dig it, expcept maybe for a VERY specific effect in a specific spot on a song (think Jimmy Page's opening tone on the song "Houses of the Holy"...cool for the tune, but I'd kill myself if his guitar always sounded like that). You'd kill yourself if your wah always sounded like mine. Hopefully I can post a clip tonight and y'all can tell me what you think.

15. eric-d

eric-d Member

I've had my fulltone clyde for 5 years and it's been great with overdrives and FULLTONE fuzzes... As soon as I got the Sunface, it sounded like poop. I got the RetroFit from FoxRox and it's now THE wah for me. Sounds great no matter what I put with it.

16. musickbox

musickbox Supporting Member

Ive seen this thread go on for a couple of days, and Im kind of suprised no one has said anything good about the wizard wah. I have owned it for about a year now and couldnt be happier. Only beef I have is the extened sweep but Ive gotten used to it already. Ive compared it to many other wahs from dunlop to fulltone and I am happy with my choice. Im sorry to hear about your bad experience with the RMC wizard. Did you buy it brand new? can you return or exchange for a new one? Also Im sure the company would gladly fix it. Anyways thats my two cents. God Bless.

17. Braciola

Braciola Silver Supporting Member

I hear you brother!
    Can't tell you HOW MANY TIMES I was disappointed with a gear purchase based on the many many positive reviews.:BITCH
    Most folks are not willing to go against the grain here and post their true feelings on any piece of gear that's getting soooo much positive attention.

BTW, I'm with you on the Wizard Wah, and I don't care much for the Fulltone either.

18. Curly

Curly Member

I have an RMC1 that I love.

as you know, the Wizard is similar, but voiced for humbuckers.

if you don't like yours, though, then it's just not for you

Geoffrey does have great service, but it sounds like you'd rather move on.

19. John_M

John_M Supporting Member

I'd agree - I spent a lot of time trying all his wahs, and even sending the RMC2 to him to have the gain knocked down a bit. I should have just moved on a lot earlier.

20. johndara

johndara Member

Just to throw in my 2 cents, I own the Wizard Wah and I couldn't be happier. This wah is for higher gain tones and to me sounds best when using it with humbuckers. I found the Fulltone to be better using it with cleaner sounds and sucking with higher gain. So I guess it's a matter of opinion and also which situation your using it with.