Wkd weather looking bad...cancel outdoor gig?

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by ToneDeVille, May 15, 2019.

Play or Cancel?

Poll closed May 18, 2019.
  1. Play the gig

25 vote(s)
    83.3%
  2. Cancel asap

5 vote(s)
    16.7%
  1. Yer Blues

Yer Blues Member

I agree with others that it's too early to cancel. For $350/man I would think the other members would want to try and make it happen.

Also, how can the home owners afford to pay that much, but have dog crap inside the house?? Seems like they're pretty well off and usually those people have cleaner houses. :confused

Also part II.... regarding the PA... hopefully you get some extra $ for your extra trouble. I created a thread on this very subject a week or two ago.

2. ckyrost

ckyrost Member

Tie yourself to the nearest tree with some strong rope and play "thunderstruck"?:dude

B Money likes this.
  3. Papanate

Papanate Gold Supporting Member

Just like my Father said to me - Do the gig - wear protection. LOL!

Oh...and learn a bunch of storm songs...Riders In The Storm; Couldn't Stand The Weather;
    Shelter from the Storm; Ridin The Storm Out; Electric Storm (U2); etc...would make for a
    memorable event.

4. Mickey Shane

Mickey Shane apolitical Silver Supporting Member

Bring large tarps in case the rain is horizontal.

5. Yer Blues

Yer Blues Member

Tarps can work great for protecting the stage.... but another issue with rain is load in/load out. Drummers have a lot of stuff to carry..... but once again the PA guy gets screwed.

6. scottgekko

scottgekko Member

So the patio is covered and attached to the house? I also assume a ~$1m house has an attached garage? Back up into the garage and load in through the house to the patio. Everything stays dry....just watch out for the dog turds.

7. Tidbit

Tidbit Member

Squires, epiphones and solid state.

8. HurricaneJesus

HurricaneJesus Member

If you could possibly be killed (by weather or feces) during a gig do you really wanna play the cheap junk?

Gasp100, Tidbit and HoboMan like this.
  9. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Member

If you're the lead singer AND you own the PA wtf aren't you the BL?

I voted cancel ASAP but really I would wait till the day of and then see if the forecast is the same. Recently around here the weather experts have been mis-forecasting a LOT!

10. ToneDeVille

ToneDeVille Member

3 car garage is filled with junk

Update: Gig has been rescheduled for June 1 after my request to come up with an alternate plan.
    all is good!

Thumpalumpacus and R3deemed like this.
  11. russ

russ Supporting Member

I'd show up not matter what the weather is. I wanna get paid!
    No show= no pay

HurricaneJesus likes this.
  12. iGouger

iGouger Supporting Member

Me personally... I'd never even consider cancelling... If I've make a commitment to someone, I show up...that's it... no matter how crappy the situation.

andybaylor likes this.
  13. andybaylor

andybaylor Supporting Member

14. Scott S

Scott S Member

This past November, we played a show for a local ski hill. It’s a big event and the whole town shows up. Good payday, too. We played the year before and it was a beautiful day so we had no hesitations booking it again.

This time when we arrived, snow was blowing sideways into the covered area which held the stage. We found some carpet protection film and wrapped anything that could be susceptible to water damage such as pedalboards, amps, mixer, 110v outlets, etc... Construction crews use this stuff to protect the carpets in the houses they’re working on; plus it’s mildly sticky on one side so it adheres well without leaving a bunch of residue on whatever you’re covering.

For the pedalboards, this was a revelation. This stuff is clear so as long as you aren’t someone who needs to mess with your dials constantly, you can operate the pedals without issue.

The weather was brutal and it wasn’t our finest show but we found a way to make it work (all of our gear survived without any water damage whatsoever - everyone should go to Home Depot and throw a tube of carpet protection into your trailer; it will save your gear). The ski hill appreciated our efforts and has booked us for more shows with a great payday.

There are always a million reasons to cancel a show. People remember the groups who find ways to keep it rolling.

Best of luck to you!

15. Fu Schnickens

Fu Schnickens Member

If you get sucked up into a tornado you'll at least have bragging rights as the winner of the "worst gig" thread.

Thumpalumpacus, B Money and Gasp100 like this.
  16. JoeB63

JoeB63 Supporting Member

Exactly. What does your contract say?

I had a situation with the band I used to run 2 years ago. Interestingly, I subbed for myself on this gig, since I needed to be out of town. I got a call from the bass player, who was leading things for me on the gig. They had set up outdoors, as planned, under the 2 small tents provided, but the tents weren't large enough to protect them from significant rain. 45 minutes into the first set (of 3), torrential rain came in, blowing sideways and getting the PA speakers all wet.

They quickly shut down and dragged everything inside. The client (a large liquor store chain here in Texas) wanted to pay them just one-third of the contracted pay. I said, "No, the contract says that we get paid in full if there's a rainout without a protected place to play." We got full pay.

Gasp100 likes this.
  17. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Member

It's always fun when the initial problem in a thread is resolved but posters keep responding to it, not realizing the resolution because they didn't read the whole thread...good times!

Think Floyd likes this.
  18. BoneSaw

BoneSaw Supporting Member

This. We were in a similar situation last summer. Private party, good payday and rain. We set up under a covered patio. Hung plastic off the sides behind us. We setup minimal Pa, no subs. I left my amps in the car and ran direct with a modeller. Rain stopped by second set, sounded good everyone had a blast and we got paid plus a $200 tip.

HurricaneJesus likes this.
  19. HurricaneJesus

HurricaneJesus Member

Haha years ago I emailed @analogmike about creating a “pedalboard shower cap” (I believe that was my exact wording). Ever the gentleman, he humored me :)
    I’m gonna have to give that carpet protection a go!

Scott S likes this.
  20. sertshark

sertshark Member

Garage. Easy peasy. I mean who of us has not had to set up in a garage before? Plus, there is usually a REFRIGERATOR in there close by. With beer. Just sayin'.