Wolfe Guitars

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by larrylover, Jun 14, 2005.

1. larrylover

larrylover Member

I am considering getting or ordering a Heritage guitar with specific requirements. Wolfe Guitars in (I think) Miami seems to be a big Heritage dealer. I am in Chicago. I would appreciate hearing about any experiences with Wolfe, good or bad. In addition, is there any reason to go through Wolfe for something specific as opposed to a local dealer? For instance, is a Heritage ordered through Wolfe likely to be set up better or of higher quality because of the store's relationship with Heritage? Thanks in advance.

2. rooster

rooster Member

I've mentioned this before on TGP, and I'll bring it up again: I bought my last guitar (Heritage H150CM Classic) from Wolfe, and I'll be buying my next guitar from him. Not only was the guitar everything I wanted from a LP, but it was even better than I would've thought from the way he represented it. I have nothing but good to say about his shop. And, I live in AZ, but was very happy to order from him in FL.

rooster.

3. Chicago Slim

Chicago Slim Member

I live about a hundred miles away from Jay Wolfe. He is a good honest dealer, but he's also a guitar player. He rejects guitar other dealers might sell and he is capabile of setting up a guitar, to your liking. If you have a good local dealer, I would rather play a guitar, and compare it to other similar guitars. But, if you have to use mailorder, Jay is about the best.

4. hawkeyeinexile

hawkeyeinexile Silver Supporting Member

WayOutWest (Santa Clara, CA (not Canada))
    i bought the first Millenium DC from Jay. he gave me a great price, 48-hour approval, and got a letter of authenticity from Bill Paige. it was also their Winter NAMM '02 guitar. nothin' but good stuff to say re Jay.

a recent pic of it [​IMG]

O.Y. (& oh yeah...) i live on the other coast.
    :cool:

5. oldguitar

oldguitar Member

I currently have a H150CM CL on order from Wolfe. Jay actually talked me out of some more expensive upgrades. Never tried to sell me anything, and was very patient with me and my never ending questions.

Buying locally was not an option for me, there isn't anything locally.

6. gregory70

gregory70 Supporting Member

I ordered an amp from Jay Wolfe that was destroyed by UPS - Jay took care of everything and I got my money back within a week. He is truly a stand up guy and worthy of your business.

7. Tom Gross

Tom Gross Supporting Member

Jay's a good guy. He's the man to hook somebody up with a Heritage.

Bought my Holland amp from him years ago.

8. Ken I

Ken I Silver Supporting Member

I have bought 2 Heritage guitars from Jay, both excellent guitars and set up well. Jay is a pleasure to work with and his prices can't be beat.

9. John Thigpen

John Thigpen Member

Ditto from me and a friend of mine. I've bought one guitar from Jay Wolfe and my friend has bought four or five guitars and amps from him with excellent service and never a problem. Probably one of the best people in the industry.

John

10. bluesbreaker59

bluesbreaker59 Supporting Member

I've bought two guitars from Jay in the past two years, and if my money flow improves I'll be buying a forth from him very soon.

My two guitars are:

Heritage 150CM purchased in spring 2003
    Heritage 535CL purchased in spring 2004

Currently my 535CL is getting fixed up at the factory and Wolfe assured me of 100% dealer support on the repair, and he's made a good half dozen phone calls on my behalf.

Jay is the EPITOME of customer service. No one else is even close. He is THE BEST DEALER in the nation, and one of the most honest and truly nice people on the planet. Oh yeah I forgot to add both of mine were custom orders, and I'm very fussy, everything was great, and his prices were phenomenal. I also live in Des Moines, IA, where there are no Heritage dealers, so I had no idea, good or bad what I was going to get. But everything was above and beyond my expectations.

Jason Boggs

VERY satisfied Wolfe customer for life.:)

11. hawkeyeinexile

hawkeyeinexile Silver Supporting Member

WayOutWest (Santa Clara, CA (not Canada))
    i passed the link to this thread along to Jay and he was gratified (gave me a great price on a stunning H157, too :eek: )

:cool:

12. walrus

walrus Member

I wanted overnight delivery and to have the guitar held at the local depot for pickup. Neither happened. I received a prompt refund for the guitar I eventually returned to Jay, but I had to wait almost 2 months for the UPS refund. I wish Jay could have taken care of my UPS fiasco in a more prompt manner.

13. Mark Ray

Mark Ray We're Jammin' Gold Supporting Member

I bought my first PRS from Jay at a show in Atlanta way back when. In fact, it's the only PRS I still have. Great guitar, great price, great guy.

Mark

14. larrylover

larrylover Member

Wow. I hate having to sort through, and make sense of, such ambivilant and wishy-washy responses. Seriously, thanks very much for all of the views. I guess Mr. Wolfe is pretty good to deal with, huh?

And that sure is a beautiful Millenium DC.

15. bullfrogblues

bullfrogblues Supporting Member

Jay is a very stand-up guy. A number of years ago, my son dated his daughter, so I got to know him a little due to that. Great guy, and will take care of his customers. Wonderful selection of guitars, also.
    Allan.

16. Tom Gross

Tom Gross Supporting Member

And because he's both trusted & knowledgeable, like many of those special dealers around here that we know, he can be a good "trusted advisor" to assist with choosing what axe would be right for you.

17. bluesbreaker59

bluesbreaker59 Supporting Member

Yes exactly. Jay will not "sell you" a guitar. He asks what you like to play, finds out about what you'll be playing through, and takes your comments and "guides you". He will NEVER sell you something that you don't want or aren't 110% satisfied with. The man is truly a saint, IMHO.:)

18. tjensen

tjensen Gold Supporting Member

I bought my first 3 PRS's from Jay 15 years ago. He is a great guy, a gentleman and a knowledgable player.

You will not go wrong dealing with him.

Tom

19. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

I've contacted him 3 times looking to buy. Twice he didn't respond, the third time he did, but his prices were about 30% higher than anybody elses for the same thing. I've heard lots of good about him, but my experiences were different.

20. Dave Orban

Dave Orban Gold Supporting Member

Well, I've seen similar questions asked about Jay Wolfe, for the last 6 or 7 years or so, and have never before heard anything even remotely bad about him.