Wolfetone caretakers!! fantastic!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by randallflash, Jun 28, 2008.

1. randallflash

randallflash Member

I got to try some Caretakers today and a/b them with some PAFs . They had the huge it factor that wolfe talk's about on his site.
    I can't believe that they have such a high reading 8.6 9.5 !! the pafs i compared them two were 7.8 7.9 and the caretakers didn't seen much hotter, in fact the only difference was the caretakers were alot brighter.

I want to know more about these pickups, ,like what magnets are used 5's or 2's?

Are Legends just a slightly less hot version of caretakers?

I thought if the caretakers were 8.1- 9 with less highs they would sound %100 like the pafs, in fact when i rolled the volume down one number and the tone down a little they were bang on.
    -d

2. -DC/AC-

-DC/AC- Member

Wow, why haven't I heard of these yet? I've been looking at getting some Wolfetone PU's for my LP Studio and was just looking at either the Dr. Vintage or Marshallheads but know these might be what I want. I'm looking for clarity and punch that I don't find with the stock PU's and I'm not sure a PAF clone will get this, but does this sound like an accurate description of the Caretakers?

3. Caretaker

Caretaker Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

When I conveyed what I wanted in my pickups to Wolfe, I was very specific. Pretty much the Peter Green/Gary Moore burst pickups with a little more mids and a few personal tweaks. He nailed it and I can`t be happier. PAFs with BALLS when you need them. He offers A2 and A5 mags. A5 wull be a ittle more brighrt and chimy, A2 will be little more bluesy. Glad you like my tonal vision. But the genius here is Mr Macleod.
    BTW, the Legends and Dr v`s are both fantastic and nail a true PAF tone. Caretakers go for a specific PAF tone. Any of them will get you there.

4. fast ricky love

fast ricky love Supporting Member

How would the Caretakers sound compared to say a set of Marshallheads w/A2's? (Assuming the Caretakers have A2's too...?)

Wolfe is THE MAN!

5. Caretaker

That is the one question I can not answer. I have never heard Marshallheads. Even though Scott(Marshallhead) is a friend, he is a few states away and I1ve never heard any guitar with his pickups in it. If you want to hear the tone of Caretakers, listen to Live Blues or Blues Alive by Gary Moore. That is what they really sound like. There are plenty of live clips from the dvd on youtube.

6. Caretaker

Go to Youtube and watch Gary Moore Jazz intro live. Although this guitar is "Stripe" and not the Green LP, it has the same tone. He alternates between songs with the 2 guitars. This is what MY Caretakers sound like. I have A2 mags.

7. -DC/AC-

-DC/AC- Member

This may sound stupid but I'm kind of new with PU's, but can you mix like A2 and A5 magnets in a set? Like have your bridge PU with A5 magnets and one with A2's in the neck?

I have a few other Q's too. If you have stock pickups with covers can you reuse these PU covers or do you need to order new ones with the correct covers? Also, can you just take off a PU cover or do you need a new uncovered set?

8. Caretaker

Yes, you can(and Wolfe will) mix the mags for you. MOST covers are interchangable. You can take them off and put them on whenever you want. Just need a tight fit and 2 solder beads. However, some pickups are wax potted(not Wolfes) and when you remove the covers there is a lot of ugly wax and goo. Hope I answered your questions.

9. randallflash

randallflash Member

Thanks for the info, i have a feeling the ones i tried were alnico 5's just because they were bright.
    I thought the neck pickup was amazing , no matter were you had the volume the pickup stayed clear while still having lot's of air.
    It must have been nice to have Wolfe make you a custom set and them make them apart of his product line!
    I am sold! i will also go for 2's
    very cool.

10. Caretaker

Yes. Wolfe is a great guy and I am proud to use my own signiture pickup.The great thing is he treats everyone like they matter, because they DO. Enjoy the pickups.

11. randallflash

randallflash Member

12. -DC/AC-

-DC/AC- Member

How did the A5's sound in the bridge? I don't know if I should get one with A5 or A2 magnets. I like a real aggressive, punchy bridge tone and I'm not sure what pickup (or magnet) would be best for this.

13. Caretaker

Tell Wolfe exactly what you want. He will make it based on what you ask for.

14. v-verb

v-verb Supporting Member

Hey Darren!

When are you at the store this week? I'll bring my lester with Wolfetone Legends so you can give it a spin,

Cheers

Nigel

15. markom89

markom89 Senior Member

That wouldn't be Darren the guitar tech that used to work at L&M, would it???

16. randallflash

randallflash Member

17. randallflash

randallflash Member

I was thinking if wolfe can nail the sound of pafs from certain guitar players, could he do so with early zz top tone.? or would that be too much to ask?

18. Macleod

Macleod Member

When people start to hear more about custom sets and request the same thing, us smaller builders will sometimes name them after the original purchaser as a way to pay tribute/homage and let other's know that person was the original. The Tim White's EdA, WCR Herc and Goodwoods, my Marshallhead and the DrV to name a few.

/rant

However, it won' happen again with me. EVER. After spending $20,000 so far on a trademark dispute over the DrV, I'm through with the "special names"

Matter of fact, I'm so tired of this s^*%t I'm tempted to quit altogether. :BITCH

Being screwed by someone you thought was your friend is not fun.

19. Passenger84

Passenger84 Member

Yikes, that sucks. I had no idea.

Would it help any if I said that I have a set of your Dr. V's in a Prairiewood, and they are the best pickup I have ever played? :)

20. Caretaker

To quote a former friend...."Broken people". It is truly sad that anyone has a need to start lawsuits, etc over a great product. I like to think Caretakers, Marshallheads, etc are all equally great at what they do. I can never see Marshallhead and never myself ever being involved in anything so petty. I hope Wolfe sells hundreds of the set with my name on them and I don`t want a dime. I`m just happy to have such a great guy making pickups I know will do what I need them to.Best of luck in this crapstorm Wolfe.